News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Ducati 749 classes

Started by jfboothe, November 11, 2013, 08:07:01 AM

roadracer162

Quote from: Cowboy 6 on November 27, 2013, 11:35:11 PM
The issue is, the rules will not be made around you and your bike. The fact that you don't have the race version, yours is heavy and not developed, will not matter a whole lot when someone else does the job to the 9's.

The same issue is at play with the air cooled Ducatis in LW. Because of CCS's nutso rules, you have $40,000 motorcycles competing in
The issue is, the rules will not be made around you and your bike. The fact that you don't have the race version, yours is heavy and not developed, will not matter a whole lot when someone else does the job to the 9's.

The same issue is at play with the air cooled Ducatis in LW. Because of CCS's nutso rules, you have $40,000 motorcycles competing in LW Supersport.

Agreed totally with the ending sentence. I believe we speak the same language when it comes to the bottom line.

I do realize it is the nature of racing where one budget would be deemed unlimited compared to my budget. It happens now in MotoGp so I wouldn't expect any different on the club level.

What does seem ludicrous is a rationale will be used to justify one of the class structure but will not be used for all classes.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

MACOP1104

Quote from: sdiver68 on November 20, 2013, 12:30:52 PM

It's my understanding that WERA allows this in F2 and it can be done with off the shelf parts.

There was a 749 at the GNF.  I think it was a 698 maybe?  It was real strong but it fit in with the SV superbikes in F2.  I believe they let him race in LWSB also.

MACOP1104

The same issue is at play with the air cooled Ducatis in LW. Because of CCS's nutso rules, you have $40,000 motorcycles competing in LW Supersport.

Gino, good to see you're still fighting the good fight.  I laughed when I saw a Pierobon line up in LWSS at VIR in September.  Ridiculous......

MACOP1104

Quote from: MACOP1104 on November 30, 2013, 04:48:09 PM
Gino, good to see you're still fighting the good fight.  I laughed when I saw a Pierobon line up in LWSS at VIR in September.  Ridiculous......

I meant Cowboy...

Cowboy 6

I laughed when I saw a Pierobon line up in LWSS at VIR in September.  Ridiculous......

Yeah, no kidding. I have to wonder what goes on in the cranium when you completely trash what used to be a good, inexpensive class.
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

Gino230

Quote from: Cowboy 6 on December 01, 2013, 04:57:03 PM
Yeah, no kidding. I have to wonder what goes on in the cranium when you completely trash what used to be a good, inexpensive class.

I don't see how the class has been "trashed". Pony and Villa on their SV's still finish in front of the $40k Bimotas and many of the air cooled Ducs. I agree that there are some high dollar bikes competing and it has gotten a little nuts, but what do you expect guys to do? Nobody is building LW bikes. If it weren't for the rules as they are, there probably wouldn't be a LW class at all! Alot of us would not race if MW or greater were the only option.

You say that "you don't think the rules should be built around YOUR bike" yet the SV crowd always complains about the Ducs, Bimotas, and basically anything that isn't an SV as not being fair. That being said, I do agree that what it takes to compete has gotten a little crazy. I think what Mark was referring to regarding the 749 is that it is very hard to make it light vs the SV platform, so each machine has it's advantages.

It's a race, someone is always going to build to the limit of the rules. In the latest case it's the Pierbon that we are up against. I personally don't really care that it's allowed in the GP / GT classes, I'm just frustrated that it's allowed in SuperBike where my air cooled conversion is not.

Eric, I did request the ability to downsize machines a couple years back but it was declined. It would have been a cheaper and easier build than putting the air cooled motor in the 848 frame :(
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

Eric Kelcher

A Pierobon is not legal in SS(or Thunderbike) and there is not one shown in the results either as valid entry or disqualified at post race inspection. Granted errors do happen in listings due to data entry error but the entry forms match the result listings.
The Pierobon has a street model sold in Europe making it eligible for Superbike.

We are reviewing water cooled desmos in LGP class as they are not addressed.
With the dropping of most of the desmo air cooled products, we are researching what the planned replacement displacements are as well as the aftermarket standard overbore/sleeve/stroke/destroke displacements are.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

roadracer162

So what it sounds like is there should be a price cap on what can be spent on a LW Supersport machine, say $10k and anyone can claim the winning bike or any other bike for that price?
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Gino230

Hey now There's an idea! Claiming rules! Enforcing it would be a huge pain though.

Yes, the Pierbon supposedly has a street version. So does NCR. Pierbon also sells kit frames. So if I buy a Pierbon frame that accepts the parts I currently have on my production 848 Frame (including LW air cooled motor)...can I enter it as a Pierbon in SuperBike? How's that for a brain teaser!

It's too bad that there's no bikes being built. This is such a pain.

The new liquid cooled ducs are going to be sold as a 799 but they are 821 cc, liquid cooled, 4 valve per cylinder. Ducati claims 110 HP which seems low for that type of engine layout. So allowing those would also let in the 748/749.

Also, I don't understand if the Pierbon is a street bike, why isn't it allowed in SuperSport?

Either it's a production machine or it isn't......
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

roadracer162

Hey Gino,

Yeah it would be a pain to enforce but maybe no more of a pain that it is now regulating what is there. Just saying!

From what I researched the Pierobon does offer a kit version that you can then title and register for the street or they will build you one already to transfer the title.

They do still lightweight bikes just not in the Ducati. There are Suzuki SV and GS650 along with Honda coming out with there twin 500, just maybe not so accessible here in the states.

That new liquid cooled Ducati would seem to fit in the rules as a middleweight, and the 899 Panigale is too big for the middleweight class, so I guess it's heavyweight for that bike.

Don't know what to say about the Pierobon not being SS legal.

Mark

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

trace33chargers

Quote from: Gino230 on December 04, 2013, 10:24:16 PM
Also, I don't understand if the Pierbon is a street bike, why isn't it allowed in SuperSport?

Either it's a production machine or it isn't......
It's a production street bike in Europe. SS rules calls for production machine in North America.

apriliaman

The Pierobon F042 Has a street version and a race version.Not the X60R that you see racing!
Why is the BMW HP2 not allowed in LW as it is 100lbs heaver then the X60R with the same HP.And the Buell XBRR also isn't allowed Its not like anyone is going to race them and there air cooled and it should be allowed.At Daytona The top 5 or 6 bikes in LW were faster then the Fastest in AM Unlimited 1000 class!!
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006