News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

FEEDBACK on Suomy SPEC-1R

Started by backMARKr, October 20, 2006, 12:10:40 PM

backMARKr

GOT MY SUOMY :thumb:

Been wearing it around the house  ( Will March ever get here!?!? :ahhh:)

Thanks for all the helpful feedback

MAS
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

tshort

Spec 1R = best breathing helmet I've ever had - NO fogging on the visor. Ever.  Even better than my previous one, an Arai Quantum.  Comfy too. And, like all my buckets, crash tested.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

backMARKr

Tom--- AGREED on that!! I have tried to get it to fog and it won't. Of course so far that is just wearing it in my livingroom watching  "FASTER" ::)!
WERA #13

K3 Chris Onwiler

I'm a confessed helmet killer.  Spec1R is my all-time favorite lid before, during, and after crashing.  Especially after, because I've never been knocked out in one.  My only gripe is that changing the visor takes a PHd.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

backMARKr

Thanks for all the feedback everyone....I appreciate it, helped making the purchase a lot easier and more informed :thumb:

WERA #13

Court Jester

Quote from: K3 Chris Onwiler on January 10, 2007, 02:51:01 AM
...because I've never been knocked out in one.  My only gripe is that changing the visor takes a PHd.

damn, sound like i need one.
i like the Icons but have been knocked out 3 times in them. once was from coming off a pocket rocket.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

Super Dave

Good read.

Yeah, it's from Suomy, but it will tell you some interesting stuff.
Super Dave

Sobottka

im thinking of getting a suomy... how do the sizes run??? (compared to shoei)
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

251am

MJFRacing

Quote from: robsob on January 10, 2007, 12:43:12 PM
im thinking of getting a suomy... how do the sizes run??? (compared to shoei)

Love my ARAI (saved my life!) but time for a new lid for me as well.

How do the sizes compare to ARAI too?  Thanks!
Michael - CCS 73

Super Dave

Ok, it's easier to go try some on.

There are a couple different designs.

First, the Spec1R interior shape is different from most.  Most helmets are shaped like and upside down U.  Notice how the opening is the same width as the middle.  This makes helmets easy to get on.

The Spec1R is shaped more like a C turned down.  Notice that the opening is smaller than the middle, where your head would be. 

So, the Spec1R is kind of hard to get on initially, and this throws some people for a loop. 

I think the Arai's have different sizes for their different helmets.  I know years ago, I wore a small, then a medium, then I started fitting into some of their smalls again.

I think the Spec1R is similar to the racier Arai's.

Shoei's always felt like their shape was different to me.  I think the new Vandal is a new shape that fits people with more "oval" heads, I believe.
Super Dave

H-man

And please forgive me if this is a rather simple suggestion already known by all, but...

Try on the helmet with the cheek pads removed.  The press of the cheek pads can mislead you to whether the helmet properly fits around the upper part of your head.

Besides, if it's a model with removable cheek pads, then you can get different size cheek pads to adjust that part of the fit. but not so with the upper fit.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill