Need help with my sv--it's dead!

Started by cabbage996, March 26, 2003, 06:52:56 AM

tigerblade

QuoteRaising Arizona?

Yep.  The tattoo was on the mercenary biker guy.  It says "Mama Didn't Love Me".   ;D
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Protein Filled

OK, I went back and re-read and it seems like you guys think it's a weak spark that is causing this. Test the ignition coil peak voltage. Should be higher than 150. This will let you know if your spark is OK.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

cabbage996

The coils are getting over 150 volts.  We checked it last night. I've got a mechanic from the local shop looking at it now too.  He was pretty baffled too.  THe spark looked good last night, but it still wouldn't start.  He thinks it's timing or something.  There is a sensor by the stator that appears to control timing, maybe that's screwed up.  The fuel filter is clean, the filter in the carbs are clean too.  

Nate R

Did you do anything with the Ignitor box? It determines the timing based on the sensor from the crankshaft/generator area. I dunno if theree are any tests for it in the manual. If not, maybe you should find someone with a known good one and switch them?   Also, make sure that your plug that determines neutral and 2-3 gears is connected. (Under the tank, on the left of the airbox, 4 wire connector.

All of your fuses OK?

Check ALL the connectors you can, esp the ones around the right side of the subframe.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

cabbage996

I'm pretty sure that all the connectors are snug, but I'll check the gear switch one.  I've not done anything to the ignitor, i did turn it on it's side, but that can't be causing this could it?  Fuses are ok.  There are tests for the ignitor and the sensor in the manual, I don't really have the equipment to do them though and some of them require the bike to be running at 5000 rpm and that's not gonna be possible!  One of them mechanics at a shop in town is working on the case now too and he's got the tools and testers, I've got a lot of people on the job now so they should be able to figure it out eventually!  Thanks for the sugggestions everyone.

tigerblade

Probably the best tool you could use on it at this point is the AR-15.   ;D
Younger Oil Racing

harb990

QuoteProbably the best tool you could use on it at this point is the AR-15.

I would lean towards using the Dillon Gatling Gun Jesse used on Monster Garage Monday Night  ;D

cabbage996

well if you can find the gatling gun, i'll use it.  anyone have any c4?  I'd be funny to drop it on a bunker in Iraq or something.

tigerblade

Quote It'd be funny to drop it on a bunker in Iraq or something.

I've seen it dropped on asphalt and it help up pretty well.  It would probably be okay on concrete too.
Younger Oil Racing

Nate R

So, any progress? I'm curious to see what the problem is.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

cabbage996

It's alive!  The mechanic from the local shop came over to look at it and did every test in the book.  Finally he took some new plugs and put them it and it fired right up!  I put new plugs in when I got it out last month and it wouldn't fire up.  He thinks that the gas was bad and maybe fouled the new plugs.  We changed the gas when we were messing with it last week and drained the carbs, but didn't change the plugs cause they appeared to be pretty clean still.  He thinks maybe the bad gas screwed them up somehow.  Either that or tigerblade did something to them to try to keep me from lapping him at the track like normal.  Thanks for all the help.

tigerblade

The only way that SV is gonna lap the RC is if we switch rides.
Younger Oil Racing