News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Need help with my sv--it's dead!

Started by cabbage996, March 26, 2003, 06:52:56 AM

Dawn

QuoteHe also owns a Duc 996.  And a Monster 750.  Guess he's just not keen on reliable bikes...

Oh....

I thought so.

Dawn   :)

Xian_13

Not sure this is the problem....
But, check your valves/compression.
If you stored the bike in a place that is subject to the elements, you might have a valve stuck open.
Lodgic is, one cylinder has an open valve, and causes the backifre due to the lack of compression (causes the power stoke to ignite past the open valve).
If you have one good cylinder your motor could run, but not well.
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

TZ_Boy

Find a real mechanic to clean your carb's.  If your just spraying carb clean in the general direction it won't do.  Checking your stator resistance which is for the charging of your battery or checking timing which is non-adjustable is a waste of time.

You should go about your search logically.

1.  The bike ran fine last year.
  2.  The bike sat for 4 month's and it run's poorly.

So what has changed?

cabbage996

Well we were fooling with the timing light last night and it wouldn't even light up.  We tried it on the 996 and it worked so I guess it's some kind of electrical problem.  The spark appears to be weak or nonexistant.  I do like non-reliable bikes.  We'll see if tigerblade's RC starts up when he get's it put back together!

EX#996

QuoteI do like non-reliable bikes.  We'll see if tigerblade's RC starts up when he get's it put back together!

Cabbage....

Don't give up!  Our experience with the SV and other's that we know - they have been very reliable in the stock form.  If you superbike it...  well, then that could be another story.

Perhaps it's the help you have *cough*Tigerblade*cough*   ;D

Paul and Dawn Buxton

cabbage996

Well it's all stock except for the exhaust and other race stuff, no superbike stuff.  Tigerblade doesn't really do anything, he just stands there and makes comments on how crappy suzuki's are.  I figure if enough people look at the bike eventually someone will figure it out.  I still have a couple of people to look at it, one races an sv so maybe he'll be able to help.

spyderchick

Gee, you ought to charge admission, or at least a reward for the genius who figures out the problem. Beer works real well.  ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

tigerblade

QuotePerhaps it's the help you have *cough*Tigerblade*cough*   ;D

I heard the SV was a two cylinders so I put some 2-cycle oil in the tank.  Is that wrong?
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

cabbage996

I'll offer some $$$!  It's a good thing we drained the gas, that 2 stroke oil couldn't have been good for it.  You need to tell me when you are experimenting with my bike, blade.

EX#996

QuoteI heard the SV was a two cylinders so I put some 2-cycle oil in the tank.  Is that wrong?

Oh my goodness....  THAT was too funny.

Dawn   ;D
Paul and Dawn Buxton

tigerblade

Quote You need to tell me when you are experimenting with my bike, blade.

Now why would I want to do that and ruin all my fun?  If you don't know the experiment is happening, I get more objective results.
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

spyderchick

It might be all the solvents talking, but that dancing guy is creeping me out!
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".