tire selection

Started by alexey, December 14, 2002, 03:03:53 PM

alexey

I got two bikes: an F3 and an EX500 with F2 rims.  I just looked at the Dunlop site and don't see the D207GP's there anymore :(.  I've really liked Dunlops and have been running a 208 front and a 207 rear and it's worked out great so far.  I was considering slicks, but couldn't find sizes on their site.  Any 5" rear rim folks running Dunlops here?  If I go to slicks, do I need tire warmers?  I am a mid-pack amature.

fourandsix

The 180 208 rear will work with the 5" rim. if you want to use slicks you can use the 160 series rear.

tzracer

Try http://www.dunlopracing.com
click on sizes.

This is a 2002 list, but it shows a 208GP in a 150 size, fitting a 4 to 5 inch rim. Were these available? Anybody use them?

One draw back with slicks is what to do in the rain. The smallest rear rain is listed for at least a 5.25 inch rim.

Tire warmers are not needed for slicks.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

FUBAR606

It's my understanding the 207GPs have been replaced by 208GPs, not just in design but also in availability. Whatever 207s still exist out there are all that remains, as I have been told.

It was sometime during mid 2002 the 207s couldn't even be bought trackside anymore, not at least through my vendor.

G-two

Thanks for the web site regarding Dunlop tire sizes. Anybody know of a similar site for Michelin?  
Greg G
SE EX 93

tcchin

Pirelli and Metzeler DOT race tires come in a 160/60 that's designed for a 4.5-5" wheel.
Bridgestone BT-001's come in a 170 that's designed for a 5" wheel.
Michelin makes Pilot Race H2's in 160 and 170 widths, but these are hard-compound tires.
Michelin only makes Pilot Race S2's and M2's in 180 and 190 widths.
Slicks designed for a 250 will work well on the F3.
I would think that these would be better choices than forcing a 180 onto a too-small wheel - especially that 4.5" F2 rear wheel.

Eric Kelcher

Michelin race moptorcycle tire dealer site this is better than the official site for what you are looking for.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

sportbikepete

I can hook you up with Bridgestone tires.

stumpy

Hey Pete have you tried the BT-012ss on the track?
Just curios to see how they would hold up in race conditions.
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

sportbikepete

Nay for racing. If you are using them for track days and you are in a beginner group or just in an intermediate group they would be fine but for racing no way would I recommend them. Awesome street tire though.

thetireguy

QuoteMichelin makes Pilot Race H2's in 160 and 170 widths, but these are hard-compound tires.
Sorry Tim, but the Michelin H2 is NOT a hard compound tire. (the H stands for Highway Suitable) It is a Medium/Soft and falls smack in between the S2 and the M2. The H2 is a great tire that heats up quick and is also quite durable. Plus from a pricing stand point it is $50.00 dollars cheaper to the racer than a S2 or M2

tcchin

I thought DOT meant Highway Suitable, and all of the Michelin Pilot Race 2 tires that you mention are DOT compliant. The H2 is described by Michelin's own website (http://motous.webmichelin.com/tires/pilotr.htm) as a "Supersport radial for performance riding and track days." This does not sound like a race tire description to me. Race tire verbiage sounds more like, "THE BEST GRIP FOR SUPERSPORT AND SUPERSTOCK COMPETITION" or "AMA 600 SuperSport, AMA 750 SuperSport, and FIM World SuperSport championship-winning tire."

Are any of the AMA Pro teams planning on racing on the H2 instead of the S2?

Protein Filled

Depending on the track, some of my teammates use the H2 tire a lot more than the S2 or M2. Yeah, the nomenclature of the tire definitely is odd.

IE, at Mid-America, the S2's were cold tearing badly, the M2 was too hard and not getting grip, but the H2 was hooking up well and was not tearing.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

thetireguy

QuoteAre any of the AMA Pro teams planning on racing on the H2 instead of the S2?
The AMA Teams are using the S2 series for the most part. They have version's of the S2 that is alot like the H2 as far as the compound (med/soft) but it is in an S2 designated tire.

One of my most popular combinations I sell is the S2 front with the H2 rear. Just for the record at Gateway International and Mid America Motorplex in 2002 both had the track record broken by Jeff Kramer on a GSXR 750 using the S2/H2 combo.