Ducati ignition issue

Started by skiandclimb, May 29, 2009, 05:40:30 AM

skiandclimb

So, I was redoing my kitchen last week and pulled my 996 onto the driveway to get to a bunch of cabinets and whatnot in the garage.  Low and behold, it  starts raining heavily, and I was busy doing my best Norm Abrams impression in the kitchen.....effectively leaving the Duc sitting in a heavy rain for a few hours.  Anyways, the key was left in the ignition, and when I returned, the oil light was on (steady, non flashing red light)

Now, the bike starts right up and runs, but when I turn the key to "off" it just stays running.  I can turn off the motor with the kill switch.  Also, the bike now starts without the key.  :wtf:

Any ideas???

TIA,
Ski
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

123user

Will the key turn the headlight on and off? The headlight should be independent of the main relay.  If the headlight goes on and off with the switch, its possible that the main relay is sticking on.  If the headlight stays on all the time regardless of key position then you likely just have a bad switch.  In any event, you're battery is probably near dead by now?

The main and pump relays in late model ducati's are highly suspect.  Many an ignition coil or injector has been replace when it was a weak or sticky relay... 

Burt Munro

Quote from: skiandclimb on May 29, 2009, 05:40:30 AM
Now, the bike starts right up and runs, but when I turn the key to "off" it just stays running.  I can turn off the motor with the kill switch.  Also, the bike now starts without the key.  :wtf:

Any ideas???

TIA,
Ski

Yeah.....

Where do you live and what hours will everyone be gone from the house?    :kicknuts:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

skiandclimb

Well, sorry to burst your bubble, Burt- but its all working again! I sprayed a little (ok, a ton) of 10W40 into the cylander and turned the key a couple dozen times....low and behold- all is well.  123user- thanks for the info man. Good stuff for me to log in the memory banks for future reference.  Unfortunately, the thing is race prepped, so the headlight trick doesn't apply.  Kudos for the good info though!

Cheers,
Ski
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

Ducmarc

when you get a chance buy an extra yellow relay it controls everthing and is wired differently from a standard relay naturally

GSXR RACER MIKE

So all I need to do is bring a cup of water and I can have free access to a Ducati?  :biggrin:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

123user

Ducati really had their head up their a$$ when they wired these things.  Most of the newer duc  FI bikes have two relays... but unfortunately, not for redundancy.  I was in the process of building a sensible wiring harness for my 1000ss... but then I switch to carbs.  Now the bike is better in every way!

If you still have wires to the headlight you can put a multimeter to it.  You can also check continuity at fuse controling the headlights/tailights.

backMARKr

Quote from: GSXR RACER MIKE on June 03, 2009, 09:40:24 PM
So all I need to do is bring a cup of water and I can have free access to a Ducati?  :biggrin:

Don't tell Bartlett!
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

Ducmarc

flatslides forever u guys laughed at me when i metioned giant slides on an injected duc

123user

I'm not laughing anymore... I did a ton of dyno work with the Duane Michell's Ultimap ecu.  It made really good power (and eliminated that stupid immobilizer feature) but the FCR41's netted 5 extra hp on my modified 1000ds.  Now if Keihin would only build an FCR45!!!

Jason748

Quote from: backMARKr on June 04, 2009, 11:06:17 AM
Don't tell Bartlett!

hey now.... remind me not to let you anywhere near my 748.
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

Ducmarc

my drag race buddy wants me to try some gaint lectrons on my 748 clanker bike  but i'm fitting some 749 tb's with 848 injectors and see what happens