How does one decided which classes they plan to compete throughout the year?

Started by Carnag3, December 14, 2009, 02:41:12 PM

Carnag3

$$$$ is prob. the #1 thing, but I'm looking for more detail.  I know I can run my 600 in almost all the classes but how does 1 decided to stick to certain classes?  I know I can be be competitive in HW classes on my 600 but do I really want to run 2 more classes + my 3 MW glasses and GTU event?

How do you do it?
As of right now I'm set in running 5 classes unless I figure out a different solution.
Carnage
CCS EX #901
www.carnag3.com

Sobottka

maybe you should look at a few race day schedules from last year or this years when posted, they dont change too much from weekend to weekend (at least in the mid west). I dont like to race too late, especially the last race of the day on sunday (more important with a long drive)  or do too many on saturday.  
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

eboos

Select the classes that you and your equipment will qualify and be competitive in that fit within your personal schedule.
LRRS #205 Novice
2000 Buell M2
2010 Sponsors: Precision HD/Buell, Precision Triumph, Boston Moto, Superbike Toy Store, Pilot, Braking, RK Chains

SVbadguy

Do you want to win class championships or try to win the overall, not that that means much as an amatuer?
Mid-Atlantic Region 
MARRC Exec Committee at-large & Radio Committee Chair

apriliaman

in lightweight there is 5 classes that have overall points.So thats what i race.I used to race thunderbike and supertwins for extra tracktime so that was 7 races.I only do the 5 now.This year in doing the 5 races i had enough index points to get me 3rd in SE and 4th MA overall.In 600's you can do more races that give overall.Going for the class championship,make shure you do all the races in that class and dont skip any of them.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

SVbadguy

Quote from: Carnag3 on December 14, 2009, 07:54:42 PM
Class

Then I would picks the classes I think I would be most competitive in while being able to avoid back-to-back races as much as possible.  If all the weekend schedules are posted before the season starts this isn't so hard to do.  Though it's common for the schedule to change that weekend with races being split or combined.  I think this would be easier for MW and HW classes than it was for me with LW and MW classes.  Am MW and HW races usually have an Ex race in between.

It's good to have some time in between races, not just for rest, but in case you need to repair something whether it's from a crash or not.  Having a problem in one race with no time to sort it out for the next will cost you points.
Mid-Atlantic Region 
MARRC Exec Committee at-large & Radio Committee Chair

Carnag3

Quote from: SVbadguy on December 14, 2009, 08:07:54 PM
Then I would picks the classes I think I would be most competitive in while being able to avoid back-to-back races as much as possible.  If all the weekend schedules are posted before the season starts this isn't so hard to do.  Though it's common for the schedule to change that weekend with races being split or combined.  I think this would be easier for MW and HW classes than it was for me with LW and MW classes.  Am MW and HW races usually have an Ex race in between.

It's good to have some time in between races, not just for rest, but in case you need to repair something whether it's from a crash or not.  Having a problem in one race with no time to sort it out for the next will cost you points.

Thanks Travis.
Carnage
CCS EX #901
www.carnag3.com

mx558

I'm with Sabotka on the racing late that way the beer drinkin starts earlier

Ducmarc

find out who the fast guy is and try not to race in his race . sv is right try to space them for time and don't forget you need time to tech for supersport if your in the to 3. I like at least one morning race to get warmed up . but now  we run thunderbike and f40 13 and 16 a lot of standing around then mass panic

mikendzel

Quote from: Ducmarc on December 15, 2009, 08:20:29 PM
find out who the fast guy is and try not to race in his race . sv is right try to space them for time and don't forget you need time to tech for supersport if your in the to 3. I like at least one morning race to get warmed up . but now  we run thunderbike and f40 13 and 16 a lot of standing around then mass panic

He is one of the fast guys

Jeff

Don't be afraid to only run 2-3 classes per weekend.  That's a great way to gain experience and last a little longer in the sport.  Over the years I've seen a LOT of people come and go through the sport, and watching an amateur run 5+ classes per weekend, every weekend was almost a certain kiss of death. 

All depends on what you want to do.  If it's have fun, I'd recommend a GT race on Sat and a couple sprints on Sun and that's it.  If you want a championship and can afford the incredible associated expenses, do what you need to.

Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Carnag3

Guess I'll continue racing like I did last year.
3 MW
2 HW
1 GTU

I should of asked my question a little bit better.  If you only race in MW why don't you do HW also?  I guess if your an amateur it doesn't matter. 
Carnage
CCS EX #901
www.carnag3.com