Tranny problems

Started by OlDirtyBrian, December 21, 2003, 09:43:07 AM

OlDirtyBrian

I wrecked about a month ago and bent the shift lever really badly. Now the tranny will only go into first and nuetral. Anyone know why I can't get it into any other gears?

Thingy

Is it a GSX-R?  It is possible that you bent some shift forks in the transmission, or possibly hurt the shift drum in some way.  But, before you pull the tranny apart, take of the side case, etc. and see if the shift detent star and mechanism is still working.
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

OlDirtyBrian

It's an '02 R6. Aight i'll do that. How long would it take to repair a bent shift fork?

Thingy

Never done it on an R6.  That has the stacked transmission.  But, a buddy and I pulled the motor and had the parts out in a few hours.  (I had done the process before, though)  We ordered the parts ($160) and put it back together in an evening.

I still highly recomend that you pull the left side case and check out the rest of the shifting mechanism first.  It may be in there.  Both times that I had to fix the bent shift forks, it would still shift, it just wouldn't stay in second gear.

If you do end up pulling the tranny and shift forks, look for very minute wear on the sides of the shift forks.  That is what indicates that it is twisted.  You won't be able to actually tell that it is twisted visually.  You can just see where the gear that it pushes has been rubbing against it.

If Tim Chin sees this post, he might have some advice as well.  He seems to be pretty good at this stuff.

Get a service manual, and good luck. :-/
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

DAmico

YOU DID NOT BEND A SHIFT FORK. THE SHIFT SHAFT IS NOT DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO THE SHIFT FORKS. YOU BENT OR BROKE THE PIECE THAT IS ON THE END OF THE SHIFT SHAFT. YOU NEED TO TAKE THE RIGHT SIDE ENGINE COVER OFF, THEN PROBABLY TAKE THE CLUTCH AND CLUTCH HUB OFF AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEE THE BACK OF THE SHIFT SHAFT, THE SHIFT DETENT ARM AND THE SHIFT DRUM. THESE ARE THE PARTS YOU WILL NEED TO INSPECT.  GOOD NEWS: YOU WONT HAVE TO SPLIT THE CASES TO REPLACE ANY OF IT.
 GOOD LUCK

balistic

Im just asking here but are you rolling the bike ( riding it ) when you are trying to get it into second? Most bikes have a lockout in the trans that will prevent it from going into second it your stoped. To help find nuetral.
Will

Tourdot675

You get this figured out yet?

If it's anything like what happened to my R6, if the tab on the shift lever was bent at all, it can hit the rearset and not allow the transmission to engage in that direction.  I would recommend checking to make sure you have full travel on the shift lever for the movement needed to shift in each direction.  Easiest fix, adjust the knuckle on the trans. and lengthen or shorten shift rod accordingly.
MW-AM #989
WisconsinSportBikes.net Racing
SpeedTech Racing
VMC (www.verticalmischief.com)
O'marro's Public House - The Varsity Club - Reptile Palace