Fixing aluminum radiator

Started by sv303, May 17, 2005, 07:32:07 PM

sv303

I have a few small leaks in the side of my Sv650 aluminum radiator.  I tried to braze it with Fluxless Aluminum brazing rods but I still have pin hole leaks.  Does anyone know how to fix this.  My last resort might have to be "rediator sealer".  But I don't want to plug other parts in my bike.

Bernie

http://www.motorcycleradiators.com

That's Myler's radiator repair.  They are inexpensive and fast.  They have performed miracles on some junk I have sent them.

NightHeat

Thingy

QuoteJB Weld worked for me

Me too.
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

L8brake731

Myler's in Utah rocks!! Fast service and excellent repair.
I have a bend and cracked 03' SV one repaired for under a $100.00 !! ;D

It is now on its second season and shows no signs if problems.

S. Fukiage
CCS/ASRA  #731

Eric Kelcher

QuoteJB Weld worked for me

I know it does not work on oil coolers. Cleaned up two BIG messes from this last weekend. Do not try it, the test reports are in, it FAILED.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

gsxr_rcr

I went to a radiator repair show here in town and they fixed mine for 100.00 bucks.   i was pissed off when i found out all they did was hit it with some paint stripper then put a high temp epoxy on it and spray painted it to match.

Yes it worked for many more years without any problems, but i felt i got ripped off, i could have done it for 5 bucks.  Just get some jb weld or find a high temp epoxy and patch it up, youll be fine,  dont use the sealer it will screw up a perfectly good race engine.

L8brake731

Hhhhmmm... The secrets of the trade ;D

It took these guys a few trys to figure out it just takes epoxy, well do you know what type? At least it is still working.
S. Fukiage
CCS/ASRA  #731

duc995@aol.com

Go to the local autoparts store.  Buy the radiator repair epoxy.  It is in a clear tube about 5 inches long and 1 inch in diameter.  The epoxy is a two-part taffy looking material that you cut off and then kneed until uniform in color.  Then you just press into the defect and fixed!  I actually sliced up a radiator to insert baffles to create a three-pass rad and the stuff worked so well that I never saw a need for a more permanent repair!

tshort

Buy one of my spare SV radiators - problem solved 8)
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128