News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Daytona

Started by StumpysWife, March 08, 2006, 04:48:45 AM

StumpysWife

Happy Daytona 2006 day!

Don't forget, for those of us who can't be there, live timing and scoring is up on www.amasuperbike.com

Heather

OmniGLH

W00T!

Got LiveWire going here at the office.  Hopefully the IT Nazi's won't shut it down on me.

Brian Hall 29th fastest in FX so far w/a 1:47.659 - GO BRIAN!!
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

StumpysWife

Any word on what happened to Brian Hall?  He was going pretty good on Wednesday.  

Heather

Super Dave

i think I saw him in the back ground of a picture of Michael Barnes on RRW.  Barney wadded pretty good.

Super Dave

Super Dave

He qualified, but I don't see him doing any laps in the supersport race.

Super Dave

StumpysWife

He didn't practice yesturday either.  That's why I was concerned.  Hope he didn't get hurt.  

Heather

Scotty Ryan

Talked to Purk and Ortega on the phone last night and sounds like Hall blew up a motor or two in practice.... But our boys Dano, and our one and only racing dentist "Dr Jeffery Purk" both qualified for the Supersport and FX/200 races....Way to go guys...Oh and Ortega was practicing on his new 06' R6 and put a whole in the radiator - and blowing his head gasket...Now his just running the 05'....Purk says he's glad they have today off so that they can rest.....
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

StumpysWife

Brian and his poor motors!!!  Good grief!

I'm glad to hear its the bike and not him, though.

Heather

OmniGLH

I had a sinking feeling he blew up a motor or two  :(  Poor guy.  I really hate to see someone with as much potential as he has run into such a string of "bad luck"  :(

Methinks its time for a new engine builder...
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Jeff

Looking at the results of qualifying, I see DanO running a GSXR-6 and if I'm not mistaken, he ran his fastest laps on that bike...  interesting...

And yes, I too fear the season that Hall has 95% of everything go RIGHT (no busted shoulders/collar bones/blown motors).
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

LMsports

Brian will have himself back up and going for the season. Hopefully he will get himself in a more reliable position he truly has some talent and goes well when things aren't stacked so highly against him. He is resourceful, I'm sure he will rebound well.
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

OmniGLH

I can only imagine Old-Timer's (aka Mister Hall) mood down there right now!  I feel sorry for the poor sap that's going to be on his sh*t list after this weekend!
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

251am

QuoteI had a sinking feeling he blew up a motor or two  :(  Poor guy.  I really hate to see someone with as much potential as he has run into such a string of "bad luck"  :(

Methinks its time for a new engine builder...

Has nothing to do with the engine builder I would guess.  :-X

Scotty Ryan

I asked Dan about the Suzuki thing, and he said that the AMA was supposed to have that changed by Wednesday - doesn't surprise me though. The AMA is usually a little slow with that kind of stuff.....He is running his 05'R6, he was saying something about it being down on power tho...... I have been watching the results and lap times and am upset that I didn't go down and race...I think I will next season....

Scotty Ryan

QuoteHas nothing to do with the engine builder I would guess.  :-X

Only second hand info - but - I was told that his pistons were slapping the heads...Irreguardless of who built the motor - it sounds to me like the thing was put together just a little to tight....

Super Dave

Sometimes there are issues with what you put in the tank.  

I don't think anyone has answers though.  

How about them Buells?  They keep puttin' down oil...not.
Super Dave

OmniGLH

QuoteSometimes there are issues with what you put in the tank.  

I'm certainly impressed that they managed to get a Buell into the top-10 qualifying spots, that's for sure!  Though I'm SURE it helps to have a MotoGP rider piloting the thing... ;)

I'm not a Harley (or Buell) fan in the least.  In fact, I rather dislike Buells.  But it is nice to see the americans have finally built something that can compete with the japanese (even if it IS 2x the displacement.)  I hope it holds together and finishes.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Scotty Ryan

QuoteSometimes there are issues with what you put in the tank.  

We were discussing this topic last night while working on the bike...From what pat says - in the old days, guys would come off the banking, downshift, and over-rev the pi$$ out of the motors.Sometimes you would put a valve through a piston or something to that nature.....Trying to touch on what you said about what goes in the tank - Pat said that the guys running bigger tanks back in the days - when race bikes didn't start out as street bikes ( Formula 1 I think)  while carrying extra weight, would put more load on the motor then they were used to.And while trying to slowing down for turn one and cause havoc on internal engine parts because of the overrev factor.... Correcet me if I am wrong Dave....

K3 Chris Onwiler

Did Ben Spies REALLY just utter the words THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLAR 600?  Oh phuck me!  That's precicely the same budget I'm working with for my 30 year plan.... :o
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

jer271

Iam so glad I bought a 4&6 motor somebody come home with some good news soon :-/

jer271

Hey Ptak,
 I was noticing that Dano had, The Law Offices of Donahue, as a sponser ::)

Kinda funny or did he get some $$$ outa of him, if he did, at least some of us are getting a rebate ;D

OmniGLH

QuoteIam so glad I bought a 4&6 motor somebody come home with some good news soon :-/

oh SNAP!
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

OmniGLH

QuoteHey Ptak,
 I was noticing that Dano had, The Law Offices of Donahue, as a sponser ::)

Kinda funny or did he get some $$$ outa of him, if he did, at least some of us are getting a rebate ;D

LOL I'd assume so.  I think the amount of money some of us have sent him over the years would be enough to fund a MotoGP season!
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Super Dave

QuoteI'm certainly impressed that they managed to get a Buell into the top-10 qualifying spots, that's for sure!  Though I'm SURE it helps to have a MotoGP rider piloting the thing... ;)

Honda has one on their pole winning bike.  What's the difference?  Suzuki has one on their pole bike for Superbike.  
Super Dave

Super Dave

QuoteWe were discussing this topic last night while working on the bike...From what pat says - in the old days, guys would come off the banking, downshift, and over-rev the pi$$ out of the motors.Sometimes you would put a valve through a piston or something to that nature.....Trying to touch on what you said about what goes in the tank - Pat said that the guys running bigger tanks back in the days - when race bikes didn't start out as street bikes ( Formula 1 I think)  while carrying extra weight, would put more load on the motor then they were used to.And while trying to slowing down for turn one and cause havoc on internal engine parts because of the overrev factor.... Correcet me if I am wrong Dave....

Well, the Formula one bikes...they didn't have valves.  They were two strokes, unless you were on Hondas...they had some wild prototype endurance type four stroke things.

Overrev?  Well, I'm not sure what Pat was talking about, but I know that Dale Quarterley talked about how they used to always build big motors,  big HP, for Daytona, but they'd pop them...so, well, the started to build them to accelerate and last.  

When Fred Merkel returned to the US to race, that was what he wanted the most from a motor...accelerate.  Yeah, more HP means more acceleration, in ways, but you're trying to get the thing to come out of the corner with feel.  And come out hard.  

Riders have still tossed motors because of too much over rev in the recent era.  Slipper clutches help.
Super Dave

Suzy

Isn't there races tomorrow morning or is that another rerun?

Super Dave

Today was Supercross.  Tomorrow is the big event.  Unless it rains.
Super Dave

Super_KC124

Was that Dean Hagemann(sp.) I just seen on pit row at Daytona?

Scotty Ryan

I thought I saw Dean as well...I know he was doing some stuff for a Buell team last season - so it would make sense to me....

Super_KC124

I'm sure it was. It was the big ear rings. ;D

racerhall

thanks for the concerns everyone, im ok
i had nothing but problems on my trip to daytona, all with the bikes and they forced me to come home early and watch the races on tv  :-[
but i will be ready for road america
Midwest ccs #69
asra #69
ama #66
www.schaumburgaudi.com

G 97

Quotethanks for the concerns everyone, im ok
i had nothing but problems on my trip to daytona, all with the bikes and they forced me to come home early and watch the races on tv  :-[
but i will be ready for road america

Your getting Honda's? ;D
G

stumpy

Brian just e-mailed me to see if I had any more Honda spares!  That's great news your getting a Honda Brian. You'll finish alot more races!

Stumpy ;)
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

PJ

Hey Garth,

How did your first Daytona experience work out? When I last saw you, you were still waiting for your bike to show up...   :-/

Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

G 97

Once i got my bike things went better.  ONly got about 10 laps in the TC Solo.  In the end I could never seam to get any left side grip or drive in the infield and missed qualifying by 1.2 seconds or something. I needed another session to make some changes.  It was my first time there, and still fun so hopefully things will go better next year.

On a side note got invited to Marc Palmerez HD party at the Hilton.  It was on the 9th floor suite and had a balacany that was 60 feet by about 40 feet tha over looked all of downtown plus the beach.  Good PArty.  
G