News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Ultra Light thunder bike 250cc class rules for 2013

Started by CHIRINOM, December 12, 2012, 08:04:30 PM

roadracer162

I like the supersport for the 250 and thunder bike for the 300. That would allow the older 250 and the current 250 a chance against the new 300. Some class restructuring would need to be done. Currently there is a ultralight thunder bike and there is an ultralight super bike. If there is another class named ultralight supersport shouldn't it be a 650cc water cooled twin or a 800cc air cooled twin?
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

vance

I'm gonna have to agree with Bruce on this one. Since I own a 250 I would like the class to be structured to suit me. Most of us feel the same, I'm sure. The truth is its irritating to argue our point because in the end CCS doesn't really need our money. I'm sure they would like to have it, but if the class goes away, guys will still be racing. If everyone with a 600 decided to bail, then there would be problems, but there's simply not enough of us to impact the decisions. If Kawi puts out a new bike like the 300 or even the old 636, race orgs are going to do what they can to fit the bike into a class. It's not in their best interest to discourage the purchase of a new model, just doesn't make sense.

As far as finding another org, I did the math last night and to race the north FL region of the other org, it will cost me $2,000 more in fuel alone plus hotel costs. I can almost buy a new 300 and stay with CCS (and maybe beat Miguel and Walter. :0
I don't really feel like driving to Alabama to go racing.

It is what it is. The problem I see coming is things like the Jennings endurance race will suffer because there's gonna have to be multiple classes because our rules won't fit with wera. The point was for everybody to be on the same bike.
As far as opening the wallet to build a 250.... It's "cheaper" than selling the 250 and setting up another bike but it's still kind of pointless to me. Who said, "you can only feed the hamster so much cocaine."?

About this time last year CCS announced the ULWTB rules change to "open" to what we immediately showed our discomfort, and requested to keep it "restricted", after months of sending emails and waiting on a reply, CCS decided to stick to the "open" rule saying it was too late to change it , because of this we decided to go by a "gentleman's agreement" not to work on engines or any other mayor performance component.
I attended every round of 2012 FL region, 2 of them being also SE region and the Nationals "Dytona Race of Champions" and I haven't seen a single bike with engine work, as a matter of fact I won the National Champion title at Daytona on a stock bike.
100% of the riders honoring the gentleman's agreement is clearly showing CCS what we "the racers" want and this is a FACT not words or speculation, every single ULWTB license and entry check they've received was signed by a racer that want's a restricted affordable class to race but yet they don't listen to us.
We have yelled a huge NO! in CCS's face when they tried to turn our class on a budget clash, and we did it with facts, not a single racer has built or wants to build a 250cc superbike, looks like CCS wants to force us to do it but we keep saying NO!
2 weeks ago Jenning GP hosted their first time ever race with a dedicated class for the 250's, 14 bikes were on the grid including some old ninjas none of them was a superbike, I got the second best lap time of the race by .3 of a second again on a stock 250, most of the teams there were WERA racers who also race under a restricted class rule.

CCS should listen to US! we are the ones who pay licences and entries and spend money with vendors which are CCS sponsors, 2012 had clearly showed what we the racers want.

As far as the 300, I don't think there is a need to allow it in the class right now because it's very unlikely that this will get 10 new guys to buy a brqand new 300 and enter the class, most likely it may get one or none but will surely discourage the current class members and potential 2013 new comers who were planning to buy a cheap used 250 and race competitively on a small budget. CCS should wait 1 or 2  years and let other manufacturers come up with a comparable model, this will also allow us to find cheaper used 300's.
Allowing a new, bigger, better, more powerful machine that barely made it to the show rooms is just offering an advantage to the deepest pockets, there are many other CCS classes for them to go and buy advantages, we want this one class to be competitive and affordable, CCS please listen to us and act accordingly.
Walter Ferreyra CCS expert #555
A disappointed CCS member

2blueYam

I would say it is fairly unlikely many, if any of the other manufacturers will be building a 300.  Even Kawasaki will sell a smaller displacement version of this bike in overseas markets where they have graduated licenses that require riders to start on 250cc or less motorcycles.

On a related note someone mentioned above that the 636 is back for 2013.  Both the 2013 636 and the older 636 are legal for Middleweight Supersport - "4 cylinder. liquid cooled up to 640cc."
R1 for Track, FZ1 for Street

Quote from: 2blueYam on December 13, 2012, 12:32:55 PM
I would say it is fairly unlikely many, if any of the other manufacturers will be building a 300.  Even Kawasaki will sell a smaller displacement version of this bike in overseas markets where they have graduated licenses that require riders to start on 250cc or less motorcycles.

On a related note someone mentioned above that the 636 is back for 2013.  Both the 2013 636 and the older 636 are legal for Middleweight Supersport - "4 cylinder. liquid cooled up to 640cc."
the 300 is around 10 hp over the 250 which is about 30% more hp, i think this is a huge difference not comparable with the difference between the 600's and 636's

Knedragon

Oh boy,Not another Oil Spewing diesel!!

Race125

It is time to get that 300 in the garage. $4k for a competitive bike sounds like the bargain.

CHIRINOM

Quote from: Knedragon on December 13, 2012, 03:37:56 PM
Might have to get me a 300  :spank:

Steve (Knedragon) and Morty (Race125) you guys are off  the team.  Lol . No honestly,  I am glad that we  had you G P guys out there with us supporting the  stock 250 class at the Jennings GP endurance round.

Those of you who don't know them, they run 125 GP bikes with CCS Florida. Morty rode  with Frank De la Renta,  Steve Rode with me, and Scott Coccolli ran  Doms 250 with Andres Jaramillo.  all 3 of them are former  Regional and National Champions.  This class is not Just for  newbies.

That was a good time.
Miguel Chirino
SPECCLASSRACING.com

roadracer162

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

apriliaman

Mr.Tenn do you remember a few years ago when I was racing ultralight with my fzr 400? At that time they allowed air cooled twins up to 805cc.But water cooled 650cc twins weren't allowed yet.That is from 2005-2008.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

roadracer162

That's what I am talking about Mark. I also raced my FZR 400 in 2009 against the Ducati 800 of Scott Robertson. I feel as though the SV is a superior machine and was once racing against the Ducati 900 air cooled in the lightweight class.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Knedragon

" Build it and they will come " ... isnt that what they Mr Marker
Oh boy,Not another Oil Spewing diesel!!