The rules have been handed down, 250 SS will NOT happen for 2012........

Started by Jiggyfly, February 21, 2012, 01:02:21 PM

What say ye?

Yes, I'm in on a "gentlemans" supersport
9 (81.8%)
No, cuz if ONE person shows up with a HP advantage & wins......
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: March 02, 2012, 01:02:21 PM

Tri74x

Good discussion. There is some gain in running oxy-fuels, I do conceed. Better exclude E-85 too unless it already is? Maybe octain and specific gravity limit?

Understood concerns Re: engine. I'm thinking cost here too. Sure you can sleeve, but still have to get shop to match to your pistons anyway. Why not save the cost of sleeve and just spring for a bore/piston. Typical race orgs. have overbore limits of .020" for 4 cylinders up to .080" for singles. Believe me, all the power secrets are in the head. You allow no modifications to the head and you've leveled the field pretty flat. You could hog that thing out until grapefruits dropped through, but all you'd have is a wheelie machine that won't pull past 6K. A pig!
*Factoid* Bill Elliots brother, Ernie, built him a motor that ran 212 mph at Talledega Speedway back when Nascar started making them run restrictor plates. Cars were getting too fast and flying up in the stands and shit, so Nascar was going to slow them down. How then, did Ernie make this car go so fast (with plate) as to still hold the speed record today? He built the motor with smaller displacement! Simple efficiency. Was like 300 C.I. when everyone else had 355's starving for air to move big heavy pistons.

Weight is no big deal, just think too much trouble. I sure as hell ain't getting protested!

Well, hard to believe, but the mighty Honda is down again. Ate a valve at Daytona, but did get a win! FWIW she ran consistant 2:38.3's. I figure you and me would have had a blast! Thre's a saying I heard somewhere, "You can only give the hamster so much cocaine..." This sums up my predicament.

Would love to ride the 250 and get another vintage guy out. Planning on Homestead. Will catch up to you and let me see that 360!