Proposed New Tire Rule (or lack of!)

Started by mikendzel, September 15, 2011, 08:42:08 AM

Cowboy 6

C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

vnvbandit

Quote from: benprobst on September 22, 2011, 02:56:20 PM
Yes, the bold text that says there are no bodywork restrictions in LW classes.
Kewl, I missed that
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

roadracer162

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

benprobst

Quote from: Cowboy 6 on September 22, 2011, 09:56:17 PM
I couldn't hear that.. What did you say again?

They last longer and in many cases are available when DOTs are not.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

roadracer162

My direct experience is with the Michelin Power one(DOT), the Bridgestone slick and the Bridgestone Bt090(DOT). The BT090 is not a fair comparison to the Bridgestone slick, but speaking to another fellow racer using the Bridgestone slick and the Bridgestone BT003 he reports the slick and BT003 are virtually the same as far as performance and wear. My observation of the Power One and the Bridgestone slick offers the same mileage depending on compound(100 laps for a soft compound). Lap times remain fairly consistent at my pace(may not be blazingly fast) and drop off no more than a second off my personal best at a particular track. I have had it where I get my personal best on the 87th lap of that 100 or so laps.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

benprobst

Quote from: majicMARKer on September 23, 2011, 06:59:57 PM
My direct experience is with the Michelin Power one(DOT), the Bridgestone slick and the Bridgestone Bt090(DOT). The BT090 is not a fair comparison to the Bridgestone slick, but speaking to another fellow racer using the Bridgestone slick and the Bridgestone BT003 he reports the slick and BT003 are virtually the same as far as performance and wear. My observation of the Power One and the Bridgestone slick offers the same mileage depending on compound(100 laps for a soft compound). Lap times remain fairly consistent at my pace(may not be blazingly fast) and drop off no more than a second off my personal best at a particular track. I have had it where I get my personal best on the 87th lap of that 100 or so laps.

Thats all good and fine on a LW bike with pretty quick times. Things are a little different with really fast guys on big bikes. For me, it would be great to be able to run the slick front all the time while running DOT rears from Michelin. The DOT front from Michelin is often faster than the slick depending on the track but is only capable of maintaining those laptimes for about 60% of the time that the slick does.

It also means less tires and money invested in bringing stock to the track for the vendors, something all of us need to try and support if we want them to keep coming. Most people wouldnt believe how little is made selling tires on moderate to slow weekends.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

roadracer162

Agreed on the point of the tire vendors. I took a look at becoming a tire vendor and it just didn't seem like a good risk for a new and upcoming tire. There is just not that much to be made as a tire vendor unless you sell enough.

I was merely stating my own experience at my speed and on considerably slower bikes ranging from the little FZR400 and up to the Ducati 748 that I currently race.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Cowboy 6

Quote from: benprobst on September 23, 2011, 03:04:46 PM

They last longer and in many cases are available when DOTs are not.

Well, that helped your post count...
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

mikendzel

All of you guys making the case that DOT's are as fast as slicks are just helping me make my point.  Basically there is zero reason to require DOT's anymore; they aren't made for the street, we are racing on racetracks, and if they're as good as slicks, there is no advantage to running slicks.  It will simplify things, period.

benprobst

Quote from: Cowboy 6 on September 25, 2011, 06:53:11 AM
Well, that helped your post count...
Edit,

Nevermind, just reread the thread. Obviously missed something somewhere!
Home of the GSXR 565

Rick Johnson 29

I'm all for slicks being allowed in SuperSport. I race a 1000 and perfer slicks to dot's because on bikes with 180hp plus to the rear wheel they do offer more grip and are safer IMO. Also beside the fact of having to spend money on another set of tires, it's alot of work to change back and forth. It will be more cost effective for sure. I would love to see this rule change for all classes.
Rick Johnson
Expert 29, ASRA 291, Wera 29
2011 SE Unlimited SS Champ                                                               
2011 2nd MA GTO,UnlimitedSB,SS,GP                                                   08 Suzuki GSXR 1000

Fast Eddy

Quote from: majicMARKer on September 22, 2011, 09:04:53 PM
So if the slicks offer no advantage then everyone should be running dot tires. Seemingly a mute point
The slicks do tent to last long in terms of wear. This is according to the guys I hang with that run slicks. I just run DOT's cause I run some SS classes.
Ed (AKA Dirt nap) CCS #102
http://www.southeastsales.com/
The liver is evil and must be punished!
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe