Pirelli Diablo 600 Challenge - The Skinny

Started by TrophyGal, December 03, 2009, 11:45:40 AM

TrophyGal

Here's the "skinny" about the CCS-Exclusive Pirelli Diablo 600 Challenge Spec Class - an additional class to be added to the 2010 weekend schedules. This stuff is official BUT still "Projected" and subject to change!  I'll be creating a new FAQs page for the CCS website soon which will have this and any updates that come about.

The boss wanted me to stress this -> It is a new, separate class - not a requirement or replacement for any other class.

This is what is known as of today (Dec 3, 2009).  Hope this helps clear up any misconceptions that may have occurred in other discussions.

The Basics:
When? All 2010 CCS sanctioned events
Race Length: 20-24 miles
Grids: Timed Practice or Dedicated Qualifying Session
Licensed CCS Experts only
Post Entry at the track only (no pre-entries) - use separate Post Entry Form
Entry Fee: $100

Requirements:  (so far)
Separate Contingency Form? No.
Post-Race Inspection? Yes.
Motorcycle: 600cc (similar to MW SuperSport rules)
Tires: Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa (exact models TBA)

Purses:  (projected)
Dependent upon number of starters: 6 pays top 3; 8 pays top 4 etc.
Minimum Amounts: 1st $300, 2nd $200, 3rd $150
Payment: By check, mailed from CCS Office within 7 days of receipt of official results and entry forms from each event

I don't know any more right now .. so don't ask.  Wait for the Daytona mailer (due out later this month), which is supposed to contain more.

Boober

So I'm gonna ASSume that this won't be a overall points paying class seeing as it's only for 600 riders on Pirrelli's??  WoW! Experts only.....that's like two people in the midwest region! A race that length will DESTROY a set of tires almost everywhere so with qualifying you need two sets!  I'LL PASS :kicknuts:

sasrocks

regular sprints are normally 15-18 miles long.  How is a 20-24 mile long race gonna DESTROY a tire compared to a 16 mile race?

Lets just see how this shapes up before we start slamming the idea.

Team Spalding

Pirelli and CCS are trying to put together something which will benefit us and them. I do not get all the bashing.
Joel Spalding
CCS & ASRA #36

Sponsors: Michelin, Ducati Of Indy, Wife Cindy, Held Gloves, Southeast Sales.

HAWK

I like the idea, I always said I would never make the jump to MW but if this series flies and the rules structure keeps the costs reasonable I might just consider it.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

J Farrell / Speed Tech Motorsp

Quite honestly...... I'm looking forward to it!  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Speed Tech Motorsports / Pirelli / Arai / Silkolene / Kawasaki USA / Farrell Sign & Graphics / Hindle / US Chrome Cylinder Plating / Vortex / Dynojet / Tucker Rocky / Penske / VP Fuels / Woodcraft / Attack Racing Bodies / Stompgrip / EBC / NESBA / Plus my kick ass guys back at the shop

smoke54

Joel,
we might need to find  600's!  (i'll need to find a white plate also) :)
tim

racerhall

still the same issue, riders with tire contracts which may or may not be alot will not be able to race in this class, also riders who use a different tire due to choice most likely will not want to go back and forth between two different tires and have to change suspension set up and what not, so with that being said how big due you really think the grids will be, you are now starting a class that only certain people will be able to race 1st is experts only, 2nd is 600s only, 3rd is Pirelli tires only,
i would love to race the class and it looks like it will be the best paying class now but i will not be able to race in this class nor will others, the more limits you have on the class the more people you are eliminating
Midwest ccs #69
asra #69
ama #66
www.schaumburgaudi.com

George_Linhart

Quote from: racerhall on December 04, 2009, 10:07:20 AM
still the same issue, riders with tire contracts which may or may not be alot will not be able to race in this class, also riders who use a different tire due to choice most likely will not want to go back and forth between two different tires and have to change suspension set up and what not, so with that being said how big due you really think the grids will be, you are now starting a class that only certain people will be able to race 1st is experts only, 2nd is 600s only, 3rd is Pirelli tires only,
i would love to race the class and it looks like it will be the best paying class now but i will not be able to race in this class nor will others, the more limits you have on the class the more people you are eliminating

As far as the tires - isn't that the whole reason Pirelli is sponsoring it - to get more riders to switch from other brands to their tires in order to compete in this class and have a chance at the purse.  It makes a lot of sense to me from a capitalistic perspective.  It also, potentially, makes a tire contract with another manufacturer that much less valuable if you could otherwise race the spec class and win.

Everybody bitches about purses going down and contingency being tougher, but, when a company steps up to help create a new purse class there are more complaints than applauds. Go figure.

I'd love to see this idea take off.  I liked the idea of the Diablo Cup they had a few years back - only issue was that you had to use their street/trackday tire (the PDC) vs. race tires.  Those original PDCs were fine for track days and wore like steel, but, were just not up to it in terms of outright cornering grip and feedback (especially on corner entry, hard on the brakes pushing the front tire) for regular use in heated competition.

George

spyderchick

To be fair, CCS did run a poll on this class:

http://www.ccsforum.com/index.php/topic,23818.0.html

Also, if you talk to your tire sponsor they will sometimes allow you to run a spec series on a competing tire, as long as you run the rest of your races on the tire you are contracted to run. This was common when MotoST/GT was alive.

Props to CCS and Pirelli for putting together another option for racers. It's not a class that's meant for everyone. Cool thing is that if it is successful, Pirelli and other companies will be more willing to have greater involvement in the sport in the future.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

xb12racerX

just seems weird that, in the past, when people brought up the idea of adding a class, some bitched that it will cut into practice or shorten already short races.  But now it's OK. Where will this fit in and what will be eliminated to make room for it? Seems time is an issue most weekends with a "normal schedule".
mind your own damn business

ahastings

Quote from: spyderchick on December 04, 2009, 05:02:41 PM
To be fair, CCS did run a poll on this class:

http://www.ccsforum.com/index.php/topic,23818.0.html

Also, if you talk to your tire sponsor they will sometimes allow you to run a spec series on a competing tire, as long as you run the rest of your races on the tire you are contracted to run. This was common when MotoST/GT was alive.

Props to CCS and Pirelli for putting together another option for racers. It's not a class that's meant for everyone. Cool thing is that if it is successful, Pirelli and other companies will be more willing to have greater involvement in the sport in the future.
that poll was about a normal money paying class that anyone could enter, not a spec tire class. I'm not totally against it but adding another race and a qualifying session in the schedule when they can barely get through the schedule now and have to cut laps at least 25% of the time already when they have a bunch of red flags.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor