News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Ducati relays....advice, please.

Started by skiandclimb, October 01, 2009, 10:27:28 AM

skiandclimb

So, I have had continual problems with the pump relay (the yellow one) on my 1999 996.  Seems every time it gets wet, the thing acts possessed. I pulled the relay, removed the top, and lo and behold- it was corroded worse than anything I have ever seen.  After liberal WD40 and an old toothbrush, I was able to get it unstuck. I put it back on and it ran like a charm.

I wanted to grab a replacement, and pulled the relay back off, taking it to my local auto parts store.  They had a relay that matched exactly....all the male pins were in the right spot, as were all the electrical ratings per plug.  Nine bucks later, I thought I had scored big time.  I took it home and put it on the bike, and....nothing.  nada- zilch.  What looked to be an exact replacement turned out to not work whatsoever.  So, what gives?  Is there an aftermarket source for these relays?  Or am I just better off calling Ducati Omaha or buying from my local dealer?  Also, I didn't check with them- what does Ducati charge for these little gems?

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

Ski
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

backMARKr

Quote from: skiandclimb on October 01, 2009, 10:27:28 AM
what does Ducati charge for these little gems?

I am guessing lots and lots and lots..... :biggrin:

BTW Chris...my post count on the WERA board is 748.... :thumb:
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

skiandclimb

HA!  I told you, you were a Duc lover!  BTW, you are well on your way to 1098 here...lol
#730 CCS MW/GP
www.mcraracing.com

123user

Yep, that whole dual-relay harness setup is completely stupid!  Ducati really had their heads up their A$$ on this.

You're in STL right?  I live in the JeffCoMO and  I'm pretty sure I have a couple of "good" ones lying around.  PM me and we'll figure out how to get them to you.   Just be prepared to repeat this exercise again in "the future".

skiandclimb

Quote from: 123user on October 01, 2009, 12:54:01 PM

You're in STL right?  I live in the JeffCoMO and  I'm pretty sure I have a couple of "good" ones lying around.  PM me and we'll figure out how to get them to you.  

First of all- THANK YOU.  I'll send you a PM ASAP.
Secondly- Do we know each other????
#730 CCS MW/GP
www.mcraracing.com

backMARKr

Quote from: skiandclimb on October 01, 2009, 12:49:22 PM
HA!  I told you, you were a Duc lover!  BTW, you are well on your way to 1098 here...lol

I WOULD have to sell Tim's SV...and mine, and the #3 SV ( and the 750 and Tim's 600 , the box truck, etc --- that might cover a third ).

NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

duckracer996

Well I could sell you my 1098 so I could buy an 1198....Oh wait that happened with my 996. Dissregard!

skiandclimb

Quote from: duckracer996 on October 05, 2009, 02:20:54 PM
Well I could sell you my 1098 so I could buy an 1198....Oh wait that happened with my 996. Dissregard!

Randy- what year should I look for on that voltage regulator?????
#730 CCS MW/GP
www.mcraracing.com