Helmets how old is ok??? per the rules

Started by MUZ720, September 29, 2006, 01:20:45 PM

MUZ720

I have a Arai helmet that was made 01/01 so  I am within the rules for CCS at least as far as my view goes?
I have been using this helmet for two years and it passes tech up here in the Northeast/LRRS.
I am going to be racing at Daytona in a few weeks and want to make sure this will pass tech down there??  So am I good to go or do I need a new lid??? :thumb:

Jeff

I don't believe there is an age stated in CCS rules.  Personally I use helmets for 2 years and that's it (assuming I can keep them off the ground that long).  I think after 2 years of sweat and UV, they can become compromised (my thought anyway) so I personally replace them.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

MUZ720

After reading the rules again I can find no year statement either. And under normal year to year use I agree with your statement.  But it has seen very little use the frist year and I have six weekends on it this year and I bought it new as a leftover in Jan of 04. So it still fits snug and I dry it out after each use.
Was just checking and didnt want to be told at tech that I am going to have to find a lid before I could race, as there have been a few issues with helmets this year and there a some issues with age of product with some clubs.  I will be making a NEW purchase next year.  See ya in Daytona

StuartV666

I don't know if they still do, but WERA used to have a rule in the book that your helmet cannot be older than 5 years from the date of manufacture.

I think most (many?) manufacturers recommend not to use one more than 5 years old, either. The claim is that the EPS (Expanded PolyStyrene, i.e. styrofoam) that lines the helmet breaks down gradually over time just from exposure to ozone, fluorocarbons, etc. that are in the air, whether the helmet has been in use or stored in its box the whole time.

Just FYI.

spyderchick

per WERA Rulebook, Chapter 7, paragraph 10a:

a) All WERA competitors must wear helmets which have a Snell '95 or '00 approval sticker, or must be BSI or EC approved and must be in good condition (as determined by Tech) and not manufactured more than 5 years prior to the current race year. Helmets must be taken to Technical Inspection and must display a WERA Helmet Tech decal prior to being allowed on the track. Open-faced and dirt bike helmets are not allowed.

Here's the deal: if your lid has been down, chuck it or have it checked by the manufacturer. If your lid is older than 2 years, retire it to street use and get a new lid for racing. Why take any chances with your brain? Buy a decent plain jane from the previous year and sticker it up to make it all cool and  stuff. No need to buy this years latest, greatest racer replica. My "not so humble" $.02 
:preachon:
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".