News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Should the GSXR565 (and similar bikes) be outlawed?

Started by MACOP1104, July 13, 2014, 09:41:58 AM

sdiver68

Quote from: MACOP1104 on July 16, 2014, 11:53:26 AM
If you knew what I spent building my SV superbike you would laugh.  Spare parts are plentiful and cheap on the used market.  Building my own motors saves a bunch also..

Please keep in mind all my prices quoted include labor and tuning.  If you ask Ben what he could put 1 together for himself, different story.
MCRA Race School Instructor

LWT Racer

Anyone ridden new FZ-07 yet?

Can we ban it yet? :)
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

Capitalview

If you allow the 565, then the Ducati 749, 748, 851, 888, and the BMW HP2 should also be in the GT classes.  All have similar performance to the 565. 

If we want to get technical, the HP2 isn't allowed because BMW classifies it as a middleweight.  The same can be said for the 565.  Suzuki classifies the GSX-R 600 as a middleweight bike.  If I destroke an HP2, then would it be lightweight legal?  Or is still excluded?  Remember, the 565 came about because of the engine was being based on a lightweight bikes engine, Yamaha FZR 400 with some 600 parts.  Here are you are doing the exact opposite.  Nothing on the 565 is from a lightweight bike.

Is it nice that it is "reasonably" priced alternative to the high HP Ducs, yes.  I feel the rules should have been written a bit better to define air cooled, push rod, type engines up to 1210cc if you really wanted to include the Harley based engines.

Heck, early 90s CBRs and ZX6s  should be allowed in the lightweight classes.  Talk about a cheap and easy way to get into racing.  1992 CBR 600s go for cheap now.  They are already allowed in Thunderbike. 

LWT Racer

The topic of the thread isn't about allowing in more fast bikes, it's about possibly changing rules to remove them from the equation. :)
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer

MACOP1104

Quote from: Capitalview on July 17, 2014, 12:46:42 PM
If you allow the 565, then the Ducati 749, 748, 851, 888, and the BMW HP2 should also be in the GT classes.  All have similar performance to the 565. 

If we want to get technical, the HP2 isn't allowed because BMW classifies it as a middleweight.  The same can be said for the 565.  Suzuki classifies the GSX-R 600 as a middleweight bike.  If I destroke an HP2, then would it be lightweight legal?  Or is still excluded?  Remember, the 565 came about because of the engine was being based on a lightweight bikes engine, Yamaha FZR 400 with some 600 parts.  Here are you are doing the exact opposite.  Nothing on the 565 is from a lightweight bike.

Is it nice that it is "reasonably" priced alternative to the high HP Ducs, yes.  I feel the rules should have been written a bit better to define air cooled, push rod, type engines up to 1210cc if you really wanted to include the Harley based engines.

Heck, early 90s CBRs and ZX6s  should be allowed in the lightweight classes.  Talk about a cheap and easy way to get into racing.  1992 CBR 600s go for cheap now.  They are already allowed in Thunderbike. 

LW class doesn't need to become a dumping ground for obsolete middleweight bikes.   That's what vintage racing is for

Capitalview

My main point was that the GSX-R 565 is a middle weight bike, not a lightweight bike.  Hence, if you are going to allow it you might as well let the older middle weight bikes in as well.

Also, if you allow the GSX-R 565 then you must also allow a destroked HP2.

The intention of the rule was to allow an older lightweight bike to keep up with the newer lightweight bikes.

Capitalview

Why wouldn't you want the older bikes in LW?  I hear people say they want more people to get involved in racing, but when someone suggests a way to get into racing for cheap, with on older bike, it immediately gets shot down.  How many races does AHRMA have in the midwest?  By my count, 2.  RA and Grattan. 

Plus, talk about a CHEAP way to build power against the big ducs.  It also opens up the field to other bikes besides the SV or Ducs.

LWT Racer

The rules and meaning behind the rules has been established.  Again, not the point of thread.
We don't want build power to keep up with the ducs. We want to take power away..... Keep it lightweight. 

Even if HP2 was legal, I don't think you would see a bunch of them out there.

As mike said, no one wants lightweight to be the dumping ground for old middleweights.

Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer

Capitalview

The question was should the 565, and bikes like it, be outlawed.  I answered that question by pointing out, specifically, that since the HP2 is not allowed the 565, built from a 600cc middleweight, should not be either.  Both because they are sold and marketed as middleweight.

I guess you can start calling me "no one" since I would love to see LW diversify into other bikes besides the SV and air cooled Ducs.  What do you have against the older bikes?  Is it the fear the SV wouldn't be king anymore?  I would like to hear a well reasoned articulate answer besides "no one wants to see lightweight to become a dumping ground for old middleweights"

Capitalview

Hmmm, I just realized how strange my last post sounds.  I guess I should clarify that MW produced in the last 20 years should not be allowed. 

apriliaman

Do they ever do anything with the other classes????        for example
Do you really think that your 1996 Kawasaki ZX7 or 1998 Yamaha R1 or even a 2003 will win middleweight races? They will never lower the class for those bikes.
Did you know for THUNDERBIKE  it says-------   4 cylinder Air Cooled up to 1200CC----------
So what if I had a 1991 GSXR 1100 built up to 1200CC and was making over 150HP.It would be real fast on the banking at Daytona.I do know somone that has one with 170HP but doesn't race it or even ride it much as alot of parts on that bike aren't available anymore,don't want it to get messed up.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

benprobst

Quote from: Capitalview on July 17, 2014, 03:32:27 PM
Why wouldn't you want the older bikes in LW?  I hear people say they want more people to get involved in racing, but when someone suggests a way to get into racing for cheap, with on older bike, it immediately gets shot down.  How many races does AHRMA have in the midwest?  By my count, 2.  RA and Grattan. 

Plus, talk about a CHEAP way to build power against the big ducs.  It also opens up the field to other bikes besides the SV or Ducs.

There is already multiple cheap ways into racing. You can buy a race ready SV for 2200 dollars right now. How much cheaper do you want? Or do you mean a cheap way to be competitive? If that's the case, this isn't tiddlywinks, trophies aren't just given out for showing up. That's why we race. Build the fastest thing legal for the class and that you can afford and ride it the best you can. If that's an SV then great, if that's a 50k duc or 100k pirrebonne then so be it, for now. :D
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565