News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Racebike ignition switches

Started by Woofentino Pugrossi, June 09, 2002, 02:00:57 PM

Woofentino Pugrossi

I really dont know how to word this but here goes. Last weekend I was corner working at Blackhawk and a R6 went down hard. Motor shut off but still had battery power on. I picked the bike up and went to shut the power down. Well the bike had the ignition key removed. The other racer said there was a toggle switch was on the right bar. Well everything on the right bar was basically GONE. The guages were sparking a bit when the tow came. I was wondering if there should be some kind of rule where the ignition key has to be left intact or if its removed, that there be a switch (not the engine kill switch) located in an area that would be standardized so every corner worker would know where the main switch is (ie some proctected place from a crash other than the bars). Just something so we can shut a bike's electrical down so we dont get sparking just incase of the gas tank rupturing and causing a fire when the cornerworkers are loading a bike on a towtruck.

Just an idea.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

tcchin

What's wrong with rewiring the engine kill switch such that it functions as the ignition switch, using the same wiring from the wiring harness? That way, if the engine kill switch gets ripped off the bar, the circuit would open and electrical power would be interrupted. Also, everyone knows what the engine kill switch looks like and where it's located, so no additional training would be required for the safety personnel.

Woofentino Pugrossi

Well Tim, the kill switch on that bikes right clip-on was GONE from the crash. As in RIPPED OFF. Was asking about a switch that would totally kill electrical power like NHRA and IHRA require in drag cars.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

tcchin

Please re-read my post and consider the possibility that the bike in your scenario may not have been wired as I had proposed.

If the kill switch is wired such that it simulates the ignition switch and the kill switch is ripped off during a crash, then the severed wires that are dangling from the switch that is buried in the gravel trap cannot possibly close the circuit within the bike's now-detached wiring harness, and electrical power to the vehicle will be completely removed. If the supply wire dangling from the remaining wiring harness stub contacts the chassis or another ground point, then the main fuse will blow and electrical power to the supply wire will be completely removed as well. I don't see how this could be any less foolproof  than the addition of more electrical components with more electrical wiring, especially on a vehicle with unobstructed switchgear access like a motorcycle.

StuartV666

Q: If we're talking about Supersport classes and we go strictly by the letter of the rulebook, is any of this even allowed? Are you allowed to modify the bike's wiring harness by, for example, removing the stock ignition switch?

I'm not saying it shouldn't be allowed, I'm just wondering what the letter of the rulebook says (and too lazy to go read up on it  :))

I've been wanting to replace my kill switch with one of those like are on jetskis. You know, with a leash that has to be attached for the bike to run, so, if I leave the bike for some stupid reason, the engine will be killed automatically.

A friend of mine crashed a couple of years back at Roebling and his bike landed in the sand somewhere around Turn 5/6. Somehow the throttle got pinned open in the process and so his bike ingested a large amount of sand into the motor while it was lying there, because it didn't shut off when he went down.

- Stu

tcchin

Section 6.1.2 of the 2002 FUSA rulebook specifies requirements which must be met, along with the requirements of Section 5, in order for a motorcycle to be eligible for SuperSport competition, and it makes no mention of electrical equipment or harness modifications. Besides, the ignition switch is a modular unit, and its removal does not require modification to the wiring harness. Rewiring the kill switch with the wires from the ignition switch appears to be entirely legal; as well it should, as it offers no performance enhancements, while offering considerable safety enhancements. What if your ignition key breaks off during a crash?

I think the primary issue here is safety. Sticking with components of known high quality like the stock kill switch is probably less risky than introducing components of potentially inferior quality, and then trusting them to provide continuous electrical power during the heat of competition. Also, everybody knows what a kill switch looks like, as well as where one is likely to be located on a motorcycle, so training for track safety personnel will not be an issue.

Having the main power switch fail during a race would be a life-threatening situation. I would be hesitant to trust my well-being to some Radio Shack illuminated neon rocker switch.