News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Formula 40

Started by stillslow, May 29, 2002, 07:23:35 AM

stillslow

In the Unlimited Supersport class it seems that most of the top 5 or 6 finishers are 750cc or 600cc machines which suggests to me that they must be as fast and dangerous as the 900cc or 1000cc machines. It would then  follow that in the Formula 40 class the 900cc or 1000cc machines should be allowed to compete. A lot of older (newer) racers have R1s and GSXR1000s and ZX900s would like to compete with common sense (older)racers and not be "backmarkers" who are "in the way" of younger more aggresive riders. What are the chances of opening Formula 40 to open class machines?

Leon_Eddins

To Stillslow!

The rule for formula 40 has been in effect since the first year,most of us slow guy's are very happy with the makeup of the class rules that limit the bikes to 750 supersport rules ,lightweight GP bikes, or sportsman machines. This rule covers the largest number of bikes that fall into this class.I'll tell you that the 250 guy's all got to gather and wrote letters to Kevin Elliot at CCS to let them race the class and he added the rule to the Formula 40. so start writing.

Good Luck !

Leon    ;D

P.S. I won the southeast region expert formula 40 in 2000 on a yamaha R6. catch my drift?

Baltobuell

In the Amature formula 40 I don't think anybody would care. This is a fun, relatively sane, bunch, out for a good time. I enjoy the UNmachoness of it. But it could present a problem with the experts. The winners are still winning in other classes and it might make for bad vibes. If you are new, What the hell are you doing on a R1? Those things scare me!

stillslow

I have always had an open class machine and when it came time I bought a GSXR 1000 to ride on the streets with my buddies. The previous bike was a Honda 929RR which I thought was underpowered for the "open class machinery" of today. Not trying to be macho or anything like that but if you eat chocolate cake all the time, you pretty much know when you get a good chocolate cake and when you get a bad one. That same year (2000) the GSXR750 was reported to be faster more adjile and just all around better Sport(race)bike.  To this day most of the racers using that bike are outrunning most open-class racers with larger displacement machines.Is it the bike or the racer????
    If we as older guys who are trying to go racing and don't want to race with the more aggresive younger guys who still think they are going to get a factory sponsorship "if they pass just one more guy" then let us compete on the bikes we have. I am not advocating raising the level of competition in the Am40 class, I am just trying to race without having o sell ( give away) the 1000 to buy a smaller bike..
   We all (over 50) are pretty much realist. We know we don't want to get hurt, we know who butters our bread, and we know when we get home who we have to explain things to. But more than that we woke up one morning and realised We are as good as we are going to get but we still want to compete. The biggest reason I want to compete in the Old Goats class is because they are SANE people who just like having a little fun.
   I guess what I'm asking for kind of a poll to see If I am the only one who feels that the open class machines should be allowed to race in Amateur 40??

r3card

F40 is a very competitive class ex and am with most guys sane, i think if you want to run a open bike you should be able to. after all we are out there just having fun. PS you would have to have a open bike to beat Leon any way. I have never seen a guy work so hard at what he does and keep smiling. Hes one good dude.

stillslow

I raced in the Southeast region and I know that most classes there are dominated by GSXR 750s. Leon, you won on an R6. It goes back to my original point. It is not the size of the motor, it is the rider. Unlimited Supersport and GTO are two examples of what I'm saying. Look at what the frontrunners are riding. Today'a crotchrockets are so evenly matched it comes down to skill. We are not Nicky Haydens or Mat Maladins who need the set-up and motor to be spot on. WE are just local racers trying to race and have a good time. The class Formula 40 was set up originally as a class for old farts like myself to compete without having to dodge Johnny Hotshoe. We are riders who suffer from a disease called Common Sense or Self- Preservation. Sure we want to win but not at the expense of seriously injuring ourselves or others. I race in Unlimited Supersport and GTO. I race with a group of people who's median age must be around 25-30. Pre-Self-preservation. I don't do very well but I am there racing because I love it. All I'm saying is let us old guys race with other old guys. If you want to race a 125 Gilera or a Hayabusa, who cares. EXCEPT maybe the guy who wins EVERY week with his fully race prepared GSXR750.