News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

01 SV 650 clutch cable

Started by andersonesq, May 09, 2007, 09:24:04 AM

andersonesq

What clutch cable are you guys running for first generation SVs with Vortex clip-ons?  I damaged mine crashing at CMP.  I can't remember what I used.  I tried replacing it with an OEM cable for the SV 650S, but it has no adjustment range.  Any suggestions? Thanks!
Barney Anderson

EX_#76

I have changed a stock cable in the past and got them to work ok.  If you can not adjust the lever free play properly using the cable adjustment on the clutch lever perch and or the adjustment on the magneto cover, you should check the adjutment on the release mechanism itself.  There is an adjuster with a jam nut in the center of the clutch release mechanism that is bolted to the magneto cover.  This is used to take the slack out of the series of rods that run through the engine to the clutch's pressure plate. 
To adjust the mechanism: loosen the jam nut (I think it is a 10mm nut) then using a small regular screwdriver turn the center screw in (clockwise) until it lightly bottoms out.  Then back it off 1/4 turn and tighten the jam nut while you are holding the center screw in place with your screw driver.

Let me know if that does the job
Guy
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

apriliaman

it was leaking water out of the cap very very slowly, only a 12oz bottle filled it up again.i didnt go down or ever go down from something leaking from my bike.well i didnt push the bike hard there cause of the conditions and i had 3 full weekends on my tires. I am using a cable from a honda atv that doesnt have the metal at the top,the stock one works.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

andersonesq

First, thanks Guy for the detailed response.  I'll check that out this weekend. 

Second, to #4:  I crashed right behind you in the straight chute between 3 and 4, when I lost the front as I transitioned to 90 degrees.  I've never lost the front while STRAIGHTENING the bike.  My tires were brand new, and it wasn't one of those front tire slide crashes.  It was an instantaneously-down, crash-in-oil type wreck.  So when you told me water was squirting out of your cap, I began to wonder.  Just because you didn't go down doesn't mean you didn't lay down just enough water to take me out.  I tore up BOTH sides of my bike, my brand-new Z Leathers, and broke my finger.  And I left CMP with zero points.  I'm sure you want a championship in 2007, so do I, but it's just not cool to continue racing when you know you're leaking fluid.  But I do appreciate the advice on the cable.

Barney Anderson

apriliaman

i didnt know it was leaking till i finished the race.i was sliding in that turn all day and many more places. also as i was 1.5-3 seconds slower a lap then last year. a new front tire i put on didnt help at all.hope your ok and get better.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

EX_#76

Quote from: andersonesq on May 09, 2007, 09:24:04 AM
What clutch cable are you guys running for first generation SVs with Vortex clip-ons?  I damaged mine crashing at CMP.  I can't remember what I used.  I tried replacing it with an OEM cable for the SV 650S, but it has no adjustment range.  Any suggestions? Thanks!

Here is a good cable to try.  It is a straight cable (no 90 degree bend by the lever) an it reduces the effort required to pull the clutch in.  Motion pro part # 02-0293.  Or Honda part # 22870-MW3-670.

You will have to route the cable through the frame on the throttle side, and snake it underneath the carb, but it works great!!
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor