Should the GSXR565 (and similar bikes) be outlawed?

Started by MACOP1104, July 13, 2014, 09:41:58 AM

LWT Racer

Quote from: sdiver68 on July 15, 2014, 05:42:01 PMbefore inventing the GSXR565 concept and asking Ben to build the world's first. 

So, not only did you invent the concept, but it's also the world's first?  How can you possibly claim this?  :)
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

benprobst

Take it easy you two! Lol. Steve addressed the first question as it singled out the 565. Sam you're right that the real question here includes the hybrid and big hp ducs.

Our 565 isn't the first 565 ever but it is the first GSXR version anyone has been able to come up with. While not the greatest accomplishment since we landed on the moon, Steve and I are proud of it!
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

LWT Racer

You should be proud, as I stated before, you came up with a "cheap" way to keep the ducs at bay. :)

AFM still has the rules perfect. 650cc LCT, 800cc ACT, 450cc LI4.  If only I didn't live 3,000 miles away.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer

MACOP1104

Steve and Sam should team together at VIR for Team Challenge.....   

LWT Racer

Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer

sdiver68

Quote from: MACOP1104 on July 16, 2014, 09:46:02 AM
Steve and Sam should team together at VIR for Team Challenge.....   
Probably not, but Ill buy him a beer afterwards.
MCRA Race School Instructor

sdiver68

Quote from: Swiest on July 16, 2014, 08:43:38 AM
So, not only did you invent the concept, but it's also the world's first?  How can you possibly claim this?  :)

Long in-depth and worldwide research.  I'm happy to withdraw the claim with evidence to the contrary.  There were 2 r5.5 builders I was able to find.  JD Hord  who shared his "secrets" afterwards and as it turns out we independently made the exact same design decisions even down to vendors.  And an AFM guy who I emailed and he never replied, I understand his bike never made it to the track.

LWT Racer

Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer

Gino230

Quote from: Swiest on July 16, 2014, 09:41:56 AM
You should be proud, as I stated before, you came up with a "cheap" way to keep the ducs at bay. :)

AFM still has the rules perfect. 650cc LCT, 800cc ACT, 450cc LI4.  If only I didn't live 3,000 miles away.

I keep hearing that this is the "cheap" alternative....but I would like to know the real cost. Let's say you start out with a 2012 or newer GSXR, Ohlins kit in the front, Some type of shock in the rear (whatever you guys use on those Jap-O-nese bikes ;)  chain, sprockets, slip ons, bodywork, Power commander or bazzaz or whatever, Brembo Master, slipper clutch, brake pads, plus the 565 engine. Basically a SS package + 565 engine build......I'm guessing you're spending upwards of $15-20K?
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

sdiver68

Quote from: Gino230 on July 16, 2014, 11:04:52 AM
I keep hearing that this is the "cheap" alternative....but I would like to know the real cost. Let's say you start out with a 2012 or newer GSXR, Ohlins kit in the front, Some type of shock in the rear (whatever you guys use on those Jap-O-nese bikes ;)  chain, sprockets, slip ons, bodywork, Power commander or bazzaz or whatever, Brembo Master, slipper clutch, brake pads, plus the 565 engine. Basically a SS package + 565 engine build......I'm guessing you're spending upwards of $15-20K?

Depends what you start with and what level of engine build you want. Mine started as an 08 AMA SS bike (ran at AMA SS Daytona Spring 2013) and including development/build costs and race package  spares ran around $13k. Today with in-house knowledge a replica could be built for $12k.  Other than the destroke parts it was AMA SS legal...well until I added the Brembo MC.  If you are willing to supply some of the labor, go with lower spec parts, and/or throw some sponsor parts at it I could see 1 being put together for less...maybe even <$8k.  Alternately if you wanted a current gen Superbike build I think the low end of your $15k estimate might be right.  Go crazy with weight reductions, etc and the sky is the limit.

I think part of the "cheap" also goes towards plentiful spare parts, set-up knowledge, pit replacements, reduced maintenance of a Jap I-4, reliability, etc..

MACOP1104

Quote from: Gino230 on July 16, 2014, 11:04:52 AM
If you knew what I spent building my SV superbike you would laugh.  Spare parts are plentiful and cheap on the used market.  Building my own motors saves a bunch also..

LWT Racer

Which is the same SV SBK that was doing 33's at VIR.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer