Should the GSXR565 (and similar bikes) be outlawed?

Started by MACOP1104, July 13, 2014, 09:41:58 AM

LWT Racer

Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

Gino230

CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

LWT Racer

I'd rather it just be legal for LWGP and Thunderbike.  :)
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer

Gino230

Quote from: Swiest on July 14, 2014, 06:36:21 PM
2000 SV was about 62-64hp, no where close to 73. :)  Most 600's now are between 120-130hp. Which is exactly where your Ducati fits in :) 

Again, you're comparing apples and oranges. Compare the Stock SV of 2000 to the Stock GSXR of 2000. And if you want to compare my bike to a 2012 Middleweight, Compare it to a MW Superbike at 150HP....I stand by my original numbers, I got them from manufacturer websites, which they quote at the crank as I'm sure you know.

Building a bike per class is expensive.  Look at Mavros. So for me to build my bike for 1 class like you recommend (SS) and get blown away in every other class isn't fun as you said.  Luckily up here in the north a SS SV/Kawi is very competitive because, like i've said 1000 times, it's still mostly 650s up here.  So it's still fun.

Don't forget, you also have LWSS, which should be very competitive?

CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

Gino230

Look guys, I'm not saying I don't think that the HP race has gotten crazy, But I don't get why all the focus is on LW? The rules have not changed and the big bore Ducatis have been around for a while now and have not dominated so what's the deal?

I do get that it's frustrating to race on a budget against high dollar bikes. Sometimes I look at my program and wonder how the hell I got here. My philosophy was always to keep it stock so I could run pump gas and have my engine last all season. Also concentrate on my riding instead of my bike. I guess I got sucked in like alot of people do these days. And it IS fun riding a fast bike. :)

I suppose in the MW classes more people are running bikes that are closer to stock, so the class structure matters less. Then again, if you want to race MW, you have a choice of three whole bikes! Yamaha, Suzuki, or Triumph....(and an 848 but they don't make 'em anymore).

The LW GP and Thunderbike classes are the last of the "builder's classes" where you can run a wide variety of machines. I guess what frustrates me the most is that the SV crowd is always trying to get the rules tightened so that the SV will once again be dominant, and that's just not feasible unless you make it the SV cup, (which Ultra LW essentially is). and I just don't get that. There are plenty of options for classes where mods are not as much of an issue yet we still hear all the moaning and groaning about LW?
CCS / ASRA EX # 23

LWT Racer

I love the lightweight class.  I love that it's cheap to race.  The danger factor is much lower.  The racing is good.  The general personality of the riders is excellent.  For less than $4,000, you can race LWT and be competitive (up here in the north) or with another club. 

You start pushing 120hp.... none of those things exist anymore.  I don't blame anyone for running the crazy fast LWT bikes.  If you got the cash, why not?  They are legal ( well mostly everyone i think is legal ).  They are amazingly cool bikes.  Would I own one if I could, yes.  It's still hard to consider it a lightweight bike when they put out that much power.

I'm not trying to keep SV king, altho my garage would stay happy as it's covered in SV crap.  If the Kawi was better, I'd have no issue moving to it.  If FZ07 is good, no problem moving to it.  Those are still much lower HP machines.

This isn't again about ti being a SV, or a Ducati, or a GSXR. It's just about the pure power output. I understand what you're saying with the HP going up in all classes.  90HP is a lot for LWT no matter how you look at it, just like 140hp is a lot in MWT.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer

LWT Racer

You can push 100-110HP out of SV in case you're wondering.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer

benprobst

Gino, I said ducatis and one off Ducati based bikes. Like the pierbonne and bimota and whatever in the hell else shows up. I don't hate on the Ducati and the direction it has taken the class. It's racing. If you wanna win figure it out. They meet the rules.

I do see a point to the fact that 120hp inline 4s and 1200cc twins can be a tough pill to swallow for what the lightweight class has traditionally stood for. On one hand this isn't 1999. On the other hand, it's a tough sell to say there is no way in hell, no matter how talented you are that you will win a race at handful of the tracks that CCS runs unless you're on one of the two bikes. On the other hand, tough shit build a faster bike. :biggrin:
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

LWT Racer

Ben, that's were you come in. Sponsor those guys who can't afford the fast ones. :)
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer

benprobst

Quote from: Swiest on July 14, 2014, 10:27:36 PM
Ben, that's were you come in. Sponsor those guys who can't afford the fast ones. :)

I wanted to this weekend but some asshole snapped up the fast ones already to ride the slow bike!!  :lmao:
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

MACOP1104

Quote from: benprobst on July 14, 2014, 10:22:50 PM
Gino, I said ducatis and one off Ducati based bikes. Like the pierbonne and bimota and whatever in the hell else shows up. I don't hate on the Ducati and the direction it has taken the class. It's racing. If you wanna win figure it out. They meet the rules.

I do see a point to the fact that 120hp inline 4s and 1200cc twins can be a tough pill to swallow for what the lightweight class has traditionally stood for. On one hand this isn't 1999. On the other hand, it's a tough sell to say there is no way in hell, no matter how talented you are that you will win a race at handful of the tracks that CCS runs unless you're on one of the two bikes. On the other hand, tough shit build a faster bike. :biggrin:

Or race somewhere else!

2blueYam

Quote from: Swiest on July 14, 2014, 03:30:50 PM

I would hope a MWGP bike would crush any UL bike at any track...

By UL I meant Unlimited, as in 1000cc 4 cyl. bikes. It sounds like you thought I meant ULW or Ultra- Light Weight.
R1 for Track, FZ1 for Street