News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Bimotas in LW SS...

Started by MACOP1104, July 23, 2010, 09:37:23 AM

roadracer162

Tony that's in CCS. For WERA the SV will race against the Duc800 and not the 1000. The default quote will be, "then purchase a bike that you will be competitive with". I have heard that so many times and I guess that will always be true for CCS.

I like what Mike Perry has done for the Vintage stuff for CCS Florida. More participation was needed to bering the vintage racers back and hopefully there will be more racing for vintage next season. what Mike did was bring the rules in line with other bikes such as the FZR400 which allows more riders in.

I love these little FZR racers and plan to build another for next season. I will race it in Vintage and Ultralight. I wish the CCS rules would allow some leeway for the little FZR to 560cc to run in Ultralight and maybe give it a fighting chance against the SV, especially since most of the SV crowd is pushing the rules around for Ultralight.

In comparison the FZR400 is heavier than my Ducati  800 and also a recent SV that I weighed. The FZR certainly has less power to start with. Maybe the next rule change I will submit something for the fZR but I would guess I would be the only racer asking for it and would probably get me nowhere.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

MACOP1104

Majicmarker:
I agree, the little Fizzer needs a break, as well as the EX500 and the Hawk.  ULWSB should be tailored for these bikes.  The SV in this class should be held to SS rules. 

scubabill

Quote from: MACOP1104 on October 20, 2010, 10:57:31 PM
Majicmarker:
I agree, the little Fizzer needs a break, as well as the EX500 and the Hawk.  ULWSB should be tailored for these bikes.  The SV in this class should be held to SS rules. 

The  SV's in SS need to be held to SS rules....

MACOP1104

Quote from: scubabill on October 20, 2010, 11:19:07 PM
The  SV's in SS need to be held to SS rules....

lol.  i agree!

racer880

FZR is a great bike for sure.We use to get,in 1988,I believe 75 or more HP from a built one. In 87 we ran the EX with had 55 HP stock , 70 built, in the National Endurance series.In 88 switched to the FZR for the series including the 24 Hr at Nelson. In 91 we installed a fully built 600 in that chassis that had 100 HP, that was a fun bike.I thought it weighed allot less than you report.

roadracer162

That's funny Bill.

Tony- The FZR is much heavier than you think. The stock FZR fork compared to the R1 fork that I used is actually 1 pound heavier- I did use the Attack triple clamps with the R1 forks. My son's FZR produces 59.8hp from a stock motor, jet kit and full hindle pipe. I am sure 75hp is achievable but that will only hold up against a stock SV at best. The FZR is still heavier than my Ducati 800 which is heavier than the SV. I wish I had the FZR to weigh on the scales this past weekend.

Of course the FZR600 motor would be a direct boost of power and I do get 106 out of my 630cc motor. That isn't legal in the CCS classes except for GP but then I would be relagated to running middleweight GP.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

apriliaman

My 1988 FZR 400 is 20 LBS more then my 1999 SV 650.Doesnt matter how hard I try, my SV has only 12 more hp,but is always 4-6 sec a lap faster.The best i got it to was 3 sec difference between both bikes.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

roadracer162

But Mark E. it sure would be fun to ride that 22 y/o FZR right on the tail of some of those SV guys. A 560 motor may just do the trick. Parts are becoming hard to find and maybe there will be some concessions made to the old dog such as allowing the FZR600 cases.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

racer880

My former teammate still has my 91/92 season, 400/600 AMA National GTU 3hr bike,up north.It has a fully built 100HP motor W/ flat slides ,1000 front end and wheels and brakes,Cal Fab swingarm. It is like a mini OWO1.All this talk makes me want to fetch it.

roadracer162

Please do. If you race you would be protested but what fun it would be anyway
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

MACOP1104

who was the guy in the southeast in 97-99 had an FZR400 and refused a teardown on a protest?  I guess it was a 600 motor...

roadracer162

The funny thing is the 600 motor is easy to spot. It is the iterations between the 400-600 that becomes more difficult to know.

My thought is for the current crop of bikes, if you must protest an FZR400 you must be doing something wrong with your own bike. If you were to lighten everything you might get to 300#. 90hp could be achievable from a 560 motored FZR but at the expense of reliability.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22