Ram air tubes?

Started by G-reg, February 09, 2009, 08:46:28 PM

G-reg

Are the ram air tubes that bolt up to the airbox considered part of the airbox for supersport rules?
--Greg
MW EX#84

Super Dave

Quote from: G-reg on February 09, 2009, 08:46:28 PM
Are the ram air tubes that bolt up to the airbox considered part of the airbox for supersport rules?
I do not believe so.  However, Eric would be the guy to ask for clairifcation at CCS.
Super Dave

Ducati23

On most Ducati's it would be because they hold the air filters in place.
CCS/ASRA #23
GP SuperTwins Champion 2007 2008
Ducati 848

Noidly1

'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

123user

Quote from: Noidly1 on April 14, 2009, 08:34:40 PM
No Eric, No Rules...

Finally, I can install that 2500cc big bore kit  & that 250 hp big-shot nitrous system!!!  I'll sell you one.  It only costs $5,000,000... the downside is that only martians have the correct dyno to tune it properly.  Its an inertia type that spins the earth against the moon!

Noidly1

Dont forget the fuel, CH3NO2... Gotta have that!  :thumb:

Seriously though, guys like me, still runnung carbs, shoud be able to modify plumbing.
We can use all the help we can get.
However maintain OE on FI bikes.
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

Noidly1

Here's one for ya,
Can the air intake on the bodywork be modified or completely changed, on carbed bikes, to help keep up with FI bikes?
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

Super Dave

Quote from: Noidly1 on April 18, 2009, 01:36:42 AM
Here's one for ya,
Can the air intake on the bodywork be modified or completely changed, on carbed bikes, to help keep up with FI bikes?
You can do anything in Superbike.  And Ed Key still runs a carbed SV rather than an FI SV.  The FI bikes are a little better not just because of the FI, but they have more processing on the ignition, changes in geometry, etc.  Might even have better brakes, less weight, etc. 
Super Dave

benprobst

Quote from: Super Dave on April 18, 2009, 02:04:23 AM
You can do anything in Superbike.  And Ed Key still runs a carbed SV rather than an FI SV.  The FI bikes are a little better not just because of the FI, but they have more processing on the ignition, changes in geometry, etc.  Might even have better brakes, less weight, etc. 

Same brakes, more weight, worse geometry. Next question  :biggrin: FI also makes a big chunk less hp than FCRs, though the adjustability is nice. Especially on ignition with different fuels and combustion chambers.

And Noid, if you want a competitive bike, buy one. The rules shouldnt be changed to make your old bike competitive, thats not how it works. (usually cough**SV**cough) And it isnt going to help you anyway ya slow old man.  :kicknuts:
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Super Dave

Quote from: benprobst on April 18, 2009, 11:11:01 AM
And Noid, if you want a competitive bike, buy one. The rules shouldnt be changed to make your old bike competitive, thats not how it works.
LOL!

Yeah, many times, that is still a cheap option. 
Super Dave

123user

Quote from: Super Dave on April 18, 2009, 02:04:23 AM

You got there while I was still writing, Ben,

My feeling here is that FI is great in you're running a stock or mildly modified motor.  But as compression and cam duration increases, carbs become more attractive.  On every FI motor, at some point just adding injector pulse width will not get you the fueling you need.    As RPM increases, so does the importance of injector phasing.  If you're not working with a fully tunable ECU (like Nemisis, Ultimap, or the Jap-race ecu's)... you're just plain not going to get there.  Even if you are running an adjustable ecu... good luck finding someone who can tune it for a reasonable price.

Because of electrical demands of FI, you carry around a full charging system and need a larger battery to bridge the gap between peak usage and charging capability.  Being able to run total loss is worth a lot of weight loss... when you figure that the wiring harness alone for FI bikes weighs about 3lbs, plus the fuel pump and filter, plus the charging rotor, stator, and rectifier, plus the YTX5L-BS battery you can run instead of a YTX12... its about 20lbs.   (3-4lbs of which is spinning weight)

I'm also not sure if a faster ecu with "better" ignition timing is really very good for roadracing.  If you look at an FI ecu's ignition table the advance gets pretty crazy at part throttle , roll on.  Instantaneous response is not exactly what I want when I'm already near the limit of traction... especially in wet racing conditions.    Of course you can tune that out... but now you have one more thing to jack with. 

Flatsides are still cool and get the best results for tuners of common ability. 

Noidly1

Well I guess I'm just gonna have to clairify.

When I said carbs, I meant CV's, and as for class, I was speaking of supersport like G-reg was.

Excuse me. I am sorry I didn't specify. Bite me...

As for getting a newer bike, yeah, right... I haven't hit the 10 year 'step-up' cycle yet.
I have 2 years left and it's at least 5 years behind... :banghead:

Getting a new bike, that would be nice. Having the $ would be nice too.
With as much I have in my bike, it would be foolish to sell it for dirt and have to cough up more when I can save $ for the next cycle...  :biggrin:

Oh, and Ben  :finger:

'08 R6, CCSGP44EX