News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Why do we race?

Started by K3 Chris Onwiler, May 04, 2007, 05:26:39 AM

HAWK

The danger thing is beyond bizarre to me after breaking 7 bones in an accident at work last fall. I love the sensation of going out and focusing on something so totally that nothing from the real world can get into my head.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

funsizeracing

It's a great feeling isn't it!
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

EX_#76

Quote from: SV88 on May 04, 2007, 01:33:32 PM
I think Marshall S. probably apitomizes the tradional racer profile. 

I agree.  I do not know Marshall, nor have I raced against him to know his true track etiquette, but the manner in which he writes can give a reader an impresion of a racer that I do not like to convey.
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

Ducmarc

I'm laying here in a hospital bed in my living room my 748 that tried to kill me at Jennings on April fools day in the corner watching 24hrs of Richmond qualifying . i received 10 titanium screws and someting that looks plummers strap to hold my femur into my hip scocket {don't ever land on your feet] and i think why am busy working on my bike when i have 6months of rehab why do i lie to the wifeand tell her maybe some track days next year when all i think about is the ROC.two weeks at shands for$95,000  plus chopper ride you ask why?because johnny long called me chicken 2 years ago that's why!Oh and three things of advice for all you future hospital patients. don't land on your feet. don't leave your disability insurance in the things to do pile and make sure you poop every day while staying at your luxury suite of choice marc am 359

cleezmo

Good stuff, K3!

Another great quote about racers was written by John Burns in Motorcyclist years ago. I find that since I've moved up to 600s and am finishing in the bottom 1/3 of the Expert pack, it definetely applies to me.

My best paraphase - apologies to Mr. Burns if I miss a word or two:

"Ever wonder by backmarkers stay out there, even while they're getting lapped by the leaders and there's no way they are gonna place in the money? Because you only need one guy to race."

The race for 23rd can be every bit as fun as the race for 1st - it's all about beating that guy in front of you  :thumb:

zx10ragentorange

Quote from: EX_#76 on May 04, 2007, 03:39:49 PM
I agree.  I do not know Marshall, nor have I raced against him to know his true track etiquette, but the manner in which he writes can give a reader an impresion of a racer that I do not like to convey.

Well then you have no clue. Not to get in this argument but Marshall both on the track and off conveys what I would want to see a racer be conveyed as. The "impression" some people got from his one article is sad as they have no clue what exactly he meant by what he said and who he is and how he races.

tshort

Quote from: zx10rblack51 on May 04, 2007, 04:55:38 PM
Well then you have no clue. Not to get in this argument but Marshall both on the track and off conveys what I would want to see a racer be conveyed as. The "impression" some people got from his one article is sad as they have no clue what exactly he meant by what he said and who he is and how he races.

I didn't see a post from anyone called Marshall in this thread - what are you guys referring to?
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

EX_#76

Quote from: zx10rblack51 on May 04, 2007, 04:55:38 PM

I don't want to start an agruemnt either.  The fact that I felt the way I felt without knowing Marshall is proof of what take aways can come from reading his articles in RRW.  I have discussed his articles with some of the other racers I know.  The consecnsous was that his articles did not portray racing in a favorable manner.  That could very well be the group of people I know.  It certainly seems that those who know Marshall are very quick to rise to his defence.  That makes me think that he probably is a great guy both on and off the track. 

The fact that you know Marshall might make you read his words in a different light than I did.  After I read his first article I made it a point to watch him ride at BHF.  I saw no signs of ill conduct what so ever.  That does not change my the way I felt reading his articles.  Anyhow my opinion is just that.
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76

zx10ragentorange

Quote from: EX_#76 on May 04, 2007, 06:01:32 PM
I don't want to start an agruemnt either.  The fact that I felt the way I felt without knowing Marshall is proof of what take aways can come from reading his articles in RRW.  I have discussed his articles with some of the other racers I know.  The consecnsous was that his articles did not portray racing in a favorable manner.  That could very well be the group of people I know.  It certainly seems that those who know Marshall are very quick to rise to his defence.  That makes me think that he probably is a great guy both on and off the track. 

The fact that you know Marshall might make you read his words in a different light than I did.  After I read his first article I made it a point to watch him ride at BHF.  I saw no signs of ill conduct what so ever.  That does not change my the way I felt reading his articles.  Anyhow my opinion is just that.

Fair enough.

SV88

"I think Marshall S. probably apitomizes the tradional racer profile.  Us older guys wouldn't still be around if we weren't conservative and analytical".

This was not meant to slam Marshall in any way shape or form.  In fact I was impressed the first time I met him at my first race weekend.  He was helpful, personable and very positive.  He's clearly a talented racer - more than I'll ever be and a pretty good writer even if some of us don't agree with one of his diaries.   The point I was trying to make is that people outside the racing community would have no problem imagining him as a racer...
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

EX_#76

Quote from: tshort on May 04, 2007, 05:23:49 PM
I didn't see a post from anyone called Marshall in this thread - what are you guys referring to?

Marshall Skloss wrote a series of articles for Road racing world.  I think the series was called the Skloss Files.  The articles are a documentary of Marshall's experiences running the CCS circuit last season.
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76

benprobst

rookie papers i think.

Ohh and Hey Guy, hows it going. You'll never believe it but my giant ass actually won a race with horsepower this past weekend. I wonder why?????????  :biggrin: did i mention you and Ed are cheaters  :biggrin:
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565