News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Why do we race?

Started by K3 Chris Onwiler, May 04, 2007, 05:26:39 AM

K3 Chris Onwiler

The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

SV88

K3 ver well written and thought out.  My personal reason is that I'm hoping to  beat others on inferiors tools and lower budget.  Guess I'm the value racer!  To me it's a high level physical and mental challenge...
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

Court Jester

CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

funsizeracing

Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

backMARKr

It seems less silly than golf.... 8)
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

EX_#76

Good article K3!!!  You touched on the very thing that motivates me.  There is some real serenity that seems to be part of intensely focusing on the task at hand, it is somewhat surreal, and extremely rewarding.

:preachon:
I dislike the typical stereotype that most people have about motorcycle racers being macho or crazy.  I truly feel that the majority of racers are waaay more calm and calculating than we are given credit for.  I find it somewhat insulting when people call me crazy.  I know that I can and will get hurt (I am not stupid, thank you very much).  I also know that most (not all) racing injuries are not permanently dehabilitating or fatal.  Do you really think I have not considered the risks VS rewards? These same people think that there is nothing wrong with Skiing, sky diving, and rock climbing.  People get injured and killed doing these other sports, shouldn't they be considered crazy too?  The biggest complement that I can receive from someone outside of the sport is when a person states, "you don't seem the racer type".  I always use those opportunities to try and revise the typical opinion.  I try not to speak in a self-centered macho manner whenever people ask me about racing.  Hopefully they leave the conversation with a new opinion.

Sorry for the rant
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

backMARKr

Guy..

Not a rant...a  very accurate assessment I would say! :thumb:

WERA #13

Gixxerblade

If people really think racing is dangerous take a look at the new sport of "walking on the linoleum after the wife justed mopped without telling you." It is very dangerous and as a matter of fact I took my first spill in this sport this morningwhile carrying the dog no less. I think it is rated up there with "tripping on your hose in the yard" and "kicking the edge of the bed."

I actually did take a spill this morning on the linoleum and I thought I had broken every bone in my body. Worse than almost any spill I have taken on the track.  :biggrin:

EX_#76

Quote from: gsracer on May 04, 2007, 10:30:39 AM
Guy..

Not a rant...a  very accurate assessment I would say! :thumb:

Thanks Man!!

Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

tigerblade

Quote from: EX_#76 on May 04, 2007, 10:14:30 AM
I dislike the typical stereotype that most people have about motorcycle racers being macho or crazy.  I truly feel that the majority of racers are waaay more calm and calculating than we are given credit for. 

I used to love the looks people would give me when they found out I was roadracing.  I'm pretty conservative and relatively quiet (until you know me at least), so some people couldn't really wrap their minds around it.     :biggrin:
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

backMARKr

Being from Southern Illinois...I get tired of explaining to people that I roadrace --- not motocross. The whole concept of racing a motorcycle on asphalt is pretty foreign out here in the sticks.

The school secretary was surfing channels the other week and landed on Speed when there was some roadracing on and then tells me" It looked like they scraping their knees on the ground they were so close!"

I got the "crazy" look after I explained that we, in fact, drag our knees on the ground --- ON PURPOSE ! :err:

WERA #13

SV88

Steve - you sound accident prone - should you be racing.  But seriously... I race because it's fun.  At 45 (today), with no real expectations of winning even in the LW AM. ranks, what else could it be?  I do get stressed wrenching on an old bike at the track - missing the race practices and learning the track during the GT lights but then, that's racing.

I do get the very same comment - "you don't seem like the racer type".  The younger guys are close to what outsiders would consider the racer type - I think Marshall S. probably apitomizes the tradional racer profile.  Us older guys wouldn't still be around if we weren't conservative and analytical.

My struggles is that I'm a big picture guy (Strategic) and get bored with details.  Racing is forcing me to sweat the little stuff because if I don't, at best it will slow me down (and those who know me already know that my best is glacial) and at worse could be lethal...

Cheers & looking forward to seeing all of you @ BHF Sat. if I can get my lap times to the low 20's on Monday afternoon.

Steve.
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881