News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

New goal for the year! (maybe)

Started by sdiver68, February 20, 2003, 11:29:09 AM

numbskullz58

I say go for it. Finding a draft partner helps as well. I know for the FUSA 600 race last year myself and Matt Wait hooked up in qualifying and we both dropped time, and both ended up on the second row. If I recall right I think we were doing times right around 2:20 flat.

If you do go good luck. I will be riding superstock, see ya there.

Later Sk8er,
Steve Atlas  

OmniGLH

Steve I remember thinking the same thing to myself.  DanO and I looked up the results from RA and were a little suprised.  RA was only my 3rd ever race weekend (really more like 2nd since my 1st race weekend I only ran 1 class...)  I started off running 2:35s my first session at a practice day a few days before the CCS races in August... and by the end of the races that weekend had worked myself down to consistent low 2:28s - and I have *plenty* of ideas in my head of where I can make up a lot of time.  I'm going to be really disappointed in myself if I don't touch 24s in April.

I'd love to try for ProAMA... but alas my yellow plates are holding me back.  My ProAMA debut won't be until 2004... which is good or bad depending on how you look at it.  I'll be content pitting for DanO this year I think.  I almost have more fun working as a pit crew member than racing anyways! (yeah I know I'm a little messed up...)  ;)  ;D
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

sdiver68

Hey Jim,

We need to pit next to each other, so we can help each other out.

My first RA experience was a nightmare, no practice, decent Friday if you call 50 degrees decent, Saturday it rained all day and Sunday the track was still damp from the presistent mist...oh and did I say 40 degrees?

But, the track and facility are awesome, so I can't wait to ride it when the weather is decent.
MCRA Race School Instructor

Super Dave

Monte Nichols and I worked together, I wasn't riding, and got him down to 2:20's for the AMA race.  There is a lot of work to do, and you need to have someone that can think for you.  That's what I was doing...thinking.  Monte rides, bring him in, I make changes, send him out again.

As for just doing AMA stuff...  Here's always the question I throw out.  Are you really ready?  

Unless you're really capable of going out and winning expert races in on your MWSS bike, why do it?  If you're young and you have further aspirations, don't roll your good name in the dirt trying to gain experience.  The factory level bikes are not like yours.  Sure, it's a matter of riding the bike, but are you ready?  Tez and Weeden didn't do as well as I expected of them.  I expected more.

I do agree with a 40 bike field.  There has to be some kind of reasonable number.  Yes, the track will hold more, but this is an AMA Pro event.  It should hold some honor and esteem.  You've got to go out and do your best.  Shooting for the window that will get you in will not cut it.  You really need to go out each time and work, change the set up, work it more, and get going.  

My opinion.  I've done it.
Super Dave

the_weggie_man

I agree you must do your best and people do but then get cut by an arbitrary number that nobody knows about.  They set a standard of 112% so every body that runs inside 112% should be in the race. Anything different is bullshat.

If they want to set a different standard then they need to change the qualifying standard and not set field some number they pull out of their ass.  

It's not right to change the rules during the event and not tell anyone. But as long as people put up with it that crap it will keep happening.  Believe me if it affected the factory boys the shat would get changed pronto because they would pitch a big enough gripe about it.

The privateers, the biggest group in the race needs to be heard loud and clear, but it's not happening.

Super Dave

I always thought that only 40 went to the grid anyway regardless of time.

That has been customary for years and years at AMA Pro Road Races...except Daytona where they take 80.  Might be in their rule book, but I don't have one handy.
Super Dave

sdiver68

Young?  I'm 32, and I could give 2 @#$@#$ about my "good name" when it comes to where I place in an AMA race.

Don't you know, S_D, you're going to help me too ;)

Yeah, I saw MN in the 2:20's which garnered him 14th place.  That's a very good result imho.

My point?  If I'm running 2:25's or better in April (depending on conditions of course), then I'm going!

MCRA Race School Instructor

r6_philly

Good luck and have fun  8) I wanna do the same at VIR next year.

Super Dave

QuoteYoung?  I'm 32, and I could give 2 @#$@#$ about my "good name" when it comes to where I place in an AMA race.

Don't you know, S_D, you're going to help me too ;)

I agree.  It is a bit different if you're younger and you have the thought that you might want to race AMA stuff more regularly.

Yes, I'm here to help you...
 ;D
Super Dave

r6_philly

QuoteI agree.  It is a bit different if you're younger and you have the thought that you might want to race AMA stuff more regularly.

Yes, I'm here to help you...
 ;D

What if I just want to race the AMA stuff regularly, but have no wish to be picked up, given a ride, or just generally have any other goal than qualify, race and have a good time?

I wouldn't take a ride if it was offered to me... my career lies... err elsewhere

the_weggie_man

Dave,  Right now I can only find my '01 rule book but there is no field cut off except qualifying times unless there are "special general circumstances such as track delays resulting in an extreme reduction of qualifying time, significant changes in weather conditions, etc". No track density rules or anything else.

It's a game they play, that's all.  If the field is 40 bikes they need to tell everyone that.  What they do is take your entry fee and run even if you make the qualifying time! Can you tell me you agree with that?

ice

Sdiver,

I agree with you.  If you are doing the lap times, why not enter?  I would....

Good luck :)

Dave,
Tez told me that his footpeg fell off during the middle of the race.....loose bolt or something. :-/