team challange

Started by G97, February 18, 2002, 08:37:46 PM

G97

Please expand on this.  In most other classes there is a distinction made between amateur and experts by separating them into two classifications and also by the color of the number plate.  I'm curious to the thought process then of eliminating these two distinctions for the Team Challenge and combining both experts and amateurs.  Does not make sense to me especially if you are truly concerned with safety etc.  Just my 2 million $.  G

sportbikepete

The Team Challenge is a totally different mindset. Where a sprint race guys are balls out start to finsish because the race is so short it gets hairy if you have Ams and Ex. But the Team Challenge is more of a czalculated race where guys do not need to make ballsy moves to pass as the race is long. Hope that helps you out.

G97

QuoteThe Team Challenge is a totally different mindset. Where a sprint race guys are balls out start to finsish because the race is so short it gets hairy if you have Ams and Ex. But the Team Challenge is more of a czalculated race where guys do not need to make ballsy moves to pass as the race is long. Hope that helps you out.

I agree that the Team Challenge format is longer and thus requires a little more strategy. However, if you are implying that it is any less balls out I must disagree.  I have seen just as many hair ball moves with this, no different than sprints.   Also my main point with this is why do they separate amateurs and experts in everyother race but with the team challenge they do not.  Race distance should not be a factor when considering separating or in this case combining racer skill level.  Why even make the distinction in the first place then?  I hope this helps you out. ::)

sportbikepete

No no not less ballsy but guys do not feel the need to make a risky pass due to the length of the race. You have enough time to wait and pass the guy in a safer spot.

fzr400tony

i think it's because there are teams that are mixed (am's and ex's on the same team).

i think it would be a good rule to make am wear an x on the back of their helmets.  i did at vir because i can't figure the place out.  and i really, really, really hate it there.

btw, sorry everyone in that race.  i tried...   ::)

Eric Kelcher

Been running endurances with everything from GSXR1000 to FZR400 with Am and Ex both. The number of problems are about the same as in any other seperated race. Seen races go 8 hours with no red flags and also seen sprint races of experts only not make 3 laps. If people use their heads it is never a problem, the track density issue becomes more of a concern that bike types or rider types. IMHO
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition