Slipper Clutch Question..

Started by cornercamping, January 31, 2005, 04:57:51 PM

cornercamping

If you are racing SS, and your bike has a slipper clutch as original equipment, when you replace the clutch, does it have to be OE components?  Meaning, if my bike has a slipper, and I replace it, can I use an STM when replacing it, or do I have to use the OE stuff?

???

xseal

they should allow slippers on SS bikes, period.

Don't know the answer for sure, but my instinct is it needs to be the stock one.

motomadness

I asked Kevin Elliot the very same question.  From his answer I understood that slipper clutches are legal whether they are OE or not.

cornercamping

Sweet  8)  Now I gotta get an STM in there  :D  I like the STM's for some reason.  Seem to work better.  I had a "Motowheel's" slipper from www.motowheels.com and it worked alright, but the STM worked better and was worth the extra $.   Yoyodyne also has their own slipper, and a friend has it on his 998, but I never rode the bike so I don't know how it acts.

:)

Thumper881

I have a Yoyo in my 1000 ss. I've used both and I can't tell the diff. I like the start's better with the Yoyo. It's less $ too. But i have nothing good to say about Fred. >:(

WebCrush

QuoteI have a Yoyo in my 1000 ss. I've used both and I can't tell the diff. I like the start's better with the Yoyo. It's less $ too. But i have nothing good to say about Fred. >:(

I have yet to put a slipper in my 1k yet, but when I do it will likely be a Yoyodyne.

Sorry you had a bad experience, I've had nothing but top notch service from him and recommend him to all my friends.

cornercamping

I don't know if the Motowheels and Yoyodyne slippers are the same manufactuerer with a different logo, but, the Motowheels seemed to engage differently as opposed to the STM I had.  I think, but I"m not sure, that the Motowheels and Yoyo slippers are the same company, just different branding.  I had the same plates in the STM and the Motowheels.  The Motowheels slipper was definetly great for the money.  :)

Bill_Ritger

Question.. If a bike has a slipper clutch can it be bump (push) started if it stalls?

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteQuestion.. If a bike has a slipper clutch can it be bump (push) started if it stalls?

My guess is yes. Seen a street ZX10R pop started last year.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Eric Kelcher

QuoteQuestion.. If a bike has a slipper clutch can it be bump (push) started if it stalls?

I would say without question as the MotoGP bikes all have slipper clutches and all of them use some form of roller to start.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

EX#996

The 'busa had a slipper clutch, I thought it was used to protect the engine in case you downshifted too early and generated too many revs.

I agree with Eric about MotoGP.

The one thing that you can't bump start is those dang SV's, its rollers or a starter or the rear just locks up.   :-/

Dawn  
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteThe one thing that you can't bump start is those dang SV's, its rollers or a starter or the rear just locks up.   :-/

Dawn  

Twins can be more of a PITA to bump start.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod