News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Fairing Qustion?

Started by paco, November 28, 2006, 11:19:27 AM

paco

I just installed new hot bodies race plastics on my 06 ZX10r. The right bottom fairing is making contact with the pipes and is causing the paint to bubble up. Does anyone have solution to this problem? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jeff

heat wrap, rivet a metal plate which can dissipate the heat, or (like everyone else), ignore it.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

Brian McLaughlin?  Where you at?

I think that Brian said that he has ran a few beads of high temp silicone along the area.  I can see where it would kind of keep it out of direct contact and stuff.  Never did it myself, but I remember Brian mentioning it.
Super Dave

EM JAY

Quote from: Super Dave on November 28, 2006, 12:16:49 PM

I think that Brian said that he has ran a few beads of high temp silicone along the area.  I can see where it would kind of keep it out of direct contact and stuff.  Never did it myself, but I remember Brian mentioning it.
I've used the high temp silicone stuff also.  Worked for me.  I think it was Brian that gave me the idea also.
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest
  Thanks to Expert Racing Ltd. in Chicago and Madness Custom Choppers of Fox Lake

funsizeracing

you can get those heat resistant stick on sheets like what comes on the factory stuff for around $8
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

mdr14

I have the smart arse solution... buy sharkskinz

Dood. Hotbodies is what it is... I have yet to have a set of hotbodies fit correctly, or without issues. So what I do is: realize there are issues and do the best I can with what I got.
Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com

loc_dogg

I have been told that you can use a heat gun to mold the glass a lil bit. I guess it softens the resin enough to be able to manipulate it! Or just do what Jeff said!

paco

I heat wrapped it, and that did help alot. Now I am afraid that it will continue to heat the fiberglass to the point it makes a hole and then I would not be able to race, right? Anywho, thanks a million for the advice I will try all of the above mentioned, minus the sharkskinz. Thanks.

tzracer

Quote from: Super Dave on November 28, 2006, 12:16:49 PM

Here I am, been sick the last couple days.

Yes, use high temp RTV from any auto store. Lay beads about 3/8" in diameter about an inch apart. Lay the beads perpendicular to the exhaust pipe. Replace as needed.

Problem with wrapping pipes is it can affect how the pipe works (depending upon where the pipe is wrapped).

WARNING : NEVER wrap a titanium exhaust pipe. It is possible to get the pipe hot enough to oxidize. When this happens, the Ti will transform into a yellow powder.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

K3 Chris Onwiler

I've been using the cloth exhaust wrap, but I don't put it on the pipe.  Instead, I cut strips of the cloth off the roll and glue it to the inside of the lower fairing.  The fiberglass has to be spotless for the glue to stick, so I really clean the hell out of it with carb cleaner before I try to glue down the cloth.
I've used it all up now, but the glue I was using was called Goop or Gloop or Glop, something like that.  I'd originally bought it to glue down a loose seam on my car's convertable top, one of its recommended uses.  I got it off the chemicals shelves at the local Auto Zone.
This fix has allowed me to run xero lrearence for an entire season, with only discolored paint as a result.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com