SS legal SV650 mods

Started by SV88, October 27, 2006, 09:51:07 AM

aflaim

so do you use the stock forks with the attack clamps. what are usd forks?
Thanks

L8brake731

I have to agree with Dave, the best money spent at a new racer level will be on technique and understanding the dynamics of your bike, and you.
Spend your $300+ dollars on a race school such as Code, Spencer or the like. It will save you so much time and money to have someone critique your riding, break you of habits that slow you down and most of all, give you the knowledge to build your skills on.
Buying trick parts are great but, you will definitely see the benefit of improved skill. You will also notice the subtle differences of adding these parts when you start to conquer the demons that slow you down.
Good luck! Don't forget the PC III USB!
S. Fukiage
CCS/ASRA  #731

grasshopper

Quote from: tzracer on November 02, 2006, 10:51:20 AM
The biggest difference was feel. You can feel exactly what the front tire is doing. You can ask Jason D'Amico or Mark or Mehgan Stiles what they think of the front end. Easier and lighter than going to USD forks. The stock clamps are wimpy. The Attack clamps are huge in comparison. They are adjustable but I had them set at the stock offset.

So because they are billet aluminum, they are stronger and more rigid allowing more feel?

Maybe I'll have Gans engineering turn me a set of clamps. I'm sure he'll laugh at me. He spun a set for his CB750RR and has who knows how much time into those things.

tzracer

Quote from: grasshopper on November 03, 2006, 09:32:31 AM
So because they are billet aluminum, they are stronger and more rigid allowing more feel?

Not because they are billet, but because they are larger than the stock ones, especially the bottom one. Stock has one bolt each side, Attack has 3 (titanium) bolts each side. Making them from aluminum, but the same size as stock would not accomplish anything. Next time you see pictures of superbikes or gp bikes take a look at the lower triple clamp. Of course this is assuming that the steering head area of the frame is strong enough to take advantage of the stronger triple clamps. When I looked at the 2003 SV frame and clamps (and after speaking to people who raced the earlier model SV and looking at Ed Keys supersport SV), the lower triple clamp was the weakness of the front end, not the forks.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

wolf44

Don't those mods make it illegal for SS?(triples and brembo)
I haven't read over the lw ss rulebook yet, so if I'm wrong slap me and call me stupid
Quote from: tzracer on October 31, 2006, 09:47:30 AM
Since you are new to racing I would worry more about my riding than making any changes to the bike.

That being said, on my 03 SV, the best changes I made to the bike (after suspension) were Attack triple clamps (~$700), a Brembo radial front master cylinder (~$180) with Carbon Lorrain pads, and general weight loss (350 lbs with about a half tank of gas).
Quote from: benprobst on July 28, 2008, 11:24:05 PM
Huh, guess I was wrong,
CCS GP EX#5
2008 Sponsors
MotoVelocity www.motovelocity.net
Mills Quarter Horses www.millsquarterhorses.com
St. Louis Staffing www.stlouis-staffing.com
Ducati Omaha www.ducatiomaha.com

EX_#76

Quote from: wolf44 on November 09, 2006, 03:32:39 PM
Don't those mods make it illegal for SS?(triples and brembo)
I haven't read over the lw ss rulebook yet, so if I'm wrong slap me and call me stupid

You asked for it,   consider yourself slapped, stupid.   
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

wolf44

guess I'll be looking for a brembo this off season :thumb:
Huh, guess I was wrong,
CCS GP EX#5
2008 Sponsors

benprobst

good choice on the brembo. or you could just save up for my bike next year  :biggrin: . anyway hope to see you out sometime wolf, probably wont run much ccs stuff if any next year but may run the gateway race if the midwest comes instead of just gp.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

wolf44

what are you going to run next year?
Huh, guess I was wrong,
CCS GP EX#5
2008 Sponsors

benprobst

Ill be running my superbike with WERA. I also plan on coming out and running some of the ASRA thunderbike and team challenge stuff. But mostly just getting ready for the GNF's, try and get some attention and see if I cant get some help running a 750 or 1000 in 2008.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565