SS legal SV650 mods

Started by SV88, October 27, 2006, 09:51:07 AM

SV88

As a new (AM LW) racer, I'm looking for light mods which will inspire confidence to corner faster but not impact reliability.  I think my suspension/brakes are pretty sorted out.  Tires will be DOT's once the qualifiers die,  I do have a K&N stock filter and pipe and plan on adding a steering damper.  Do I need to do anything more?  Clearly need to spend resources on improving my riding - race schools, track time, reading.

Thanks
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

Eric Kelcher

FYI K&N does not make a stock replacement air filter for the first gen SV only a superbike filter.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

catman

focus on using all the front brake you can build up carefully and see how damn fast your bike slows down when front only is used- too much concentration split shared while dialing in the rear! All this and paying attention to brake markers with the evil side of your view will help you in the first turns good starts pay off! Good luck! John

grasshopper

Anything you can do to get it lighter.

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote from: catman on October 27, 2006, 10:11:47 AM
focus on using all the front brake you can build up carefully and see how damn fast your bike slows down when front only is used- too much concentration split shared while dialing in the rear! All this and paying attention to brake markers with the evil side of your view will help you in the first turns good starts pay off! Good luck! John

Were you drunk when you wrote this?  :ahhh:  :biggrin:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

catman

No Mike -except for the steady diet of Percs Dr prescribed, i just read and posted-my bad (sorry to orig poster) I am in the process this winter of spending some BREMBO$ for the frontof my sv and really learned to focus on front wheel braking - Maybe you are still having some fun about the couple year old post i made just before (surgically) repairing a 30 year old bout with sleep apthnea(which did lead to some excessive behavior- that went unrecognized by many doctors in that time frame and really changed life drastically for me - you may (hopefully not at the level i had) it) know someone with this ,its life changing.Drs. are finally getting up to speed recently in recognizing the symptoms earlier! Thats great! Thanks for asking- John in nj

tzracer

Since you are new to racing I would worry more about my riding than making any changes to the bike.

That being said, on my 03 SV, the best changes I made to the bike (after suspension) were Attack triple clamps (~$700), a Brembo radial front master cylinder (~$180) with Carbon Lorrain pads, and general weight loss (350 lbs with about a half tank of gas).
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

SV88

Sounds good.  I'll probably drop 20lb of my own weight, Change the steel sub-frame to aluminum, do some trackdays & races in FL over the winter, read a ton, Change brake fluid, go to full DOT tires (now have Qualifiers), lighter oil, lighter clutch plates etc...
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

Super Dave

Knowledge is the cheapest way to go faster.  Understanding how your suspension works will allow you do go fishing rather than just trying to eat fish.  Hook up with someone that can give you yes and no answers.
Super Dave

grasshopper

Brian? What difference do you notice with the attack triples and why? Is 700 bucks worth it?

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote from: grasshopper on November 01, 2006, 05:23:29 PM
Brian? What difference do you notice with the attack triples and why? Is 700 bucks worth it?

My bet is they were adjustable.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

tzracer

Quote from: grasshopper on November 01, 2006, 05:23:29 PM

The biggest difference was feel. You can feel exactly what the front tire is doing. You can ask Jason D'Amico or Mark or Mehgan Stiles what they think of the front end. Easier and lighter than going to USD forks. The stock clamps are wimpy. The Attack clamps are huge in comparison. They are adjustable but I had them set at the stock offset.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke