Noob Q about Tire Temp

Started by bigreid, October 03, 2006, 04:37:45 PM

bigreid

I've seen warmers that are adjustable and all of that.  How do you even know what temp to set them at or what temp your tires should be?
GP AM#429

Jeff

it depends on the tire really.  somewhere between 160-180 deg F is typical for optimal traction.  Check with your tire manufacturer and they can tell you.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

Michelin race tires are usually 140 front, 180 rear.  You're not just heating the tire, you're heating the air in the tire and the rim.
Super Dave

catman

Hey Dave how about supercoarsa's temps? was thrilled to see ya on TV supersport race this weekend! john in nj

Super Dave

Hey, thanks!  Wasn't happy with my position at all.  I guess that's what 10 laps of practice yields.

Pirelli's don't seem to need as much temperature or as long.  That I know.  I'm only guessing that it's it's around 135 degrees.
Super Dave

bigreid

Do manufacturers put out a chart or something like that?
GP AM#429

Super Dave

Not that I know of.  Even then, it's always best to ask questions of the race distribution tire guys.  Tires change during the season.  The appearance might be the same, but the construction can be very different...heat needs can change then.
Super Dave

catman

Hey Dave -K3 best explained to me that keeping the temp at 10%   (close approx) from the cold pressure (from tire vender) is right, can you tell us,do you remove air to stay at the 10% # as the track and ambient temps go up during the day? (and add IF temps go downdown) I had a slippery session that sent me off track at summit-i like to avoid this,am interested in how we should treat our tires for best performance- Am switching to slicks from here on and just bought a Hot Box to help( digi-adjust tire warmer box.TIA John in NJ  Forever a noob until i can beat HAYDEN!!! :biggrin: :thumb: :thumb:

Super Dave

I'm not sure if you're asking me a question or making a statement.

I have pressures that I use.  As the ambient temperature changes, I'll check my pressures cold.  I find that I have time during the day to do that.  going from 33 to 30 PSI in a front tire can have a dramatic affect on how it works and feels.  Similarly going from 22 to 20 or 24 can cause the tire to be used up quicker or cause it to have less grip.

Even having a tire guage that doesn't read properly can cause these kinds of problems.
Super Dave

catman

Yea Dave-sorry its mostly question- to start( and i gotta say i am appreciative of this,thanks in advance) you stated as the ambient temps change, you  check the cold temp-i am cornfused i'll admit- i have it figuered that i set the cold temp say 30 lbs for this example( or  to distributors #s) and as the day (usually) gets hotter,and pressure goes up, i should release until i am at 33 lbs (at rise of  10 %) of cold temp setting from original 30. Then i get to wondering if a lower degree cold setting  changes the equation at all, - since i have been such a part timer, i would like to keep the learning curve out of this ,its very hi on my priority list!I think K3 explained it the best ive heard to date because he understood my question or better,misconceptions as an ongoing noob- wanting to stay safe mostly(dealing with the variables that i can control somewhat.Any way , i'd like to hear your explanation,i know that suspension is right, -just a question about the above- Hope i asked the right questions- TIA again ,John in NJ

HAWK

Your tire vendor can get you to a good starting point on pressures but in the end the final setting is the one that you like. Check your tires when you come in from a session. Are they hot, too hot, cool?  If your tires get too hot then they will get greasy and start sliding, not hot enough and you'll be slipping for a different reason. With the cool temps Saturday morning at Gingerman last month I started about 2 PSI lower than my normal pressure and the tires worked well all morning, about halfway through the GT lights race however I started to spin the rear exiting the corner and when I got in the tire was really hot so I went back up those 2 PSI and the tire ran a little cooler and hooked up like I expected. If you let air out as the conditions warmup you are doing 2 things at once, as the tire warms up it gets softer and needs the extra pressure to support itself and not overheat. If you let air out then you are going to get even hotter. Take notes about your sessions, outside air temp, tire pressure and temp and how things felt. Then use those notes to set your cold tire pressure for the day, if you need to adjust your pressure while the tires are hot then go up or down 1 PSI to get what you want. Always set your tire pressure cold.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

catman

Hey Paul- got the keep records, make small changes(1lb) & feel the front(i do) instructions, when i got the chance (only raced a couple times this year ) I had a laser thermometer and leftside/right side of rear was different by 10 or so degrees- the right side was hotter cause at summit point  we go right alot- guess the priority should  be watching the  more volitile side- anyway your info is also helpful,better get a can of white paint,youll prolly be needin it for your 07 number plates (thanks) John in NJ