no free spin on front wheels

Started by design-engine, June 20, 2012, 04:35:04 PM

design-engine

Whats the deal on obtaining a free spin on the front wheel?  I have an 09 GSXR600 and have started cleaning those fokers before each race.  I use a toothbrush, soap and water.  I pump up the brakes w/o pads in there and scrub a dub everything then re bleed after putting everything back together.  What else might I try? 

Gixxerblade

Ensure your forks are correctly aligned as well. What I usually do is have one fork at the correct height then measure it from the axle up. Get the other side to match. Also you can put your axle in when aligning the forks to get a good feel if you're in a hurry. I usually will get about 10 spins on a wheel.

Tornado Bait

Quote from: Gixxerblade on June 20, 2012, 07:20:03 PM
Ensure your forks are correctly aligned as well. What I usually do is have one fork at the correct height then measure it from the axle up. Get the other side to match. Also you can put your axle in when aligning the forks to get a good feel if you're in a hurry. I usually will get about 10 spins on a wheel.
Mine go to 11.
Speed & Strength, BikeMaster, Vortex, E4S, Tucker Rocky
Cafe Racer Inc.
Tornado Bait Racing

twilkinson3

I'm not a fan of soap and water on brake pistons....simple wipe down works great and doesn't involve water...something brake fuild and caliper bodies hate....

bruce71198

Its the job of the seals in the caliper to push the pistons back in after you release the brake lever. Due to the amount of heat disapated through the brake pads, pistons, fluid and caliper housing there is a good chance these seals have lost their flexability and thus ability to pull the piston back the fraction of a millimeter to keep the pads from dragging on the rotor. In the master cylinder the plunger needs to move to the rest position quick enough to release the residule line  pressure back into the resevour. Also if the brake lever is not adjusted to allow full retraction of the the plunger this will also cause the pads to drag on the rotor.

design-engine

I purchased a dial Gage and was able to adjust the front brakes within the .007 tolerance. the wheel spins free now.