News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Throttle housing hitting fairing before steering hits lock

Started by MrMeat, January 31, 2011, 10:57:01 AM

MrMeat

I just put clip-ons one my bike and the throttle cable housing hits the upper fairing well before I hit the steering stops.  I can't figure out how to configure the hand controls and not hit the upper fairing at the windscreen.  I also can't really pull the clip-ons in tighter to the bike, as it would not be so comfortable.  They are already at the stock angle and don't want to go in any tighter, would actually rather pull them out a bit.

Will this pass tech?

If not, what the heck do you guys do to pass in this situation?

BTW:  I have Armour Bodies fairings on my 2005 ZX-6R
Meat

CCS Southeast AM #636
OnlinePaddock.com

grasslander

CCS #413 CMRA #413
G-Baby Racing Endurance Team
2013 ASRA Team Challenge GTL National Champions
2015 US National Endurance Series LW National Champions

Jeff

Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

MrMeat

Thanks guys.  I am going to limit the steering range of motion a bit (mounting plate or similar to steerng stops) and see if that gets me enough room.
Meat

CCS Southeast AM #636
OnlinePaddock.com

SoudersD

I would generally advise against limiting steering lock. It makes paddock low-speed maneuvering more difficult, diminishes the amount of slide the bike will tolerate before highsiding, and can turn a big headshake into a crash more easily. Overall, it just makes the margin for error that much smaller.

Definitely trim the fairing first.
Dave Souders
CCS AM #412 / TPM Blue
'06 SV650

Noidly1

I trimmed mine, no big deal...
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

Tornado Bait

I had the same problem on my 600RR and 1000RR with full turn to the right.  Dremel took care of most of the problem fairing material.  ;)
Speed & Strength, BikeMaster, Vortex, E4S, Tucker Rocky
Cafe Racer Inc.
Tornado Bait Racing

MrMeat

Quote from: SoudersD on February 03, 2011, 10:22:04 AM
I would generally advise against limiting steering lock. It makes paddock low-speed maneuvering more difficult, diminishes the amount of slide the bike will tolerate before highsiding, and can turn a big headshake into a crash more easily. Overall, it just makes the margin for error that much smaller.

Definitely trim the fairing first.

I figured it would help minimize the oscillation due to a head shake since the travel would be less.  I also got the idea from looking at Taylor Knapp's bike, which had pretty thick pieces of what looked like Delran attached to his steering stops on his frame.

Thank you everyone for the advice.
Meat

CCS Southeast AM #636
OnlinePaddock.com

TommyG

You are correct. Limiting the stops is common on most of the big dogs' bikes.

gixxer188

Have you considered getting an aftermarket throttle kit like a MotionPro?  It's much smaller and you can position the throttle cables pretty much anywhere you want.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/search/by_motorcycle/revolver_throttle_kits/2005/Kawasaki/ZX_636C/all/
MadisonSBK.com Online Store
MadisonSBK Racing - Owner/Racer
2012 CCS Midwest Regional Formula 40 Champion
2012 Blackhawk Farms Raceway Formula 40 Track Champion

JBraun

Wheel weights work great too, and will absorb energy that could break the frame in a crash.
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI