Lightweight rules 2011?

Started by Gino230, November 24, 2010, 10:13:32 AM

Ducmarc

Not much thunder in a rs 250 but that's ok.  You know the best thing about lightweight is it gives eveyone something to jaw about. When is the last time someone bitched about middleweight and itt went for more than a page.    Looks like all the lightweight classes are becoming the same. Ditch all the names call lightweight A B C D and be done with it

apriliaman

I get what all your trying to say.If these bikes are too fast in the class then where do they race? Against 600's? If you look at the lap times,yes there fast in our class, if you put them in the 600 class then they will be a few seconds behind.Now if there are some top 600 riders out there and you are on your buells and bimotas with top riders on them-so called lw bikes then youll see they will be 3-5 sec a lap slower.Example at VIR some of the fastest LW bikes that ever raced there have been 1:32-1:34 ,600's do that time in a normal CCS race and then you may not even win the race.At AMA level they go 1:28-1:32
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

MACOP1104

The big air cooled 1000s/1100s/1200s should be called "thunderbikes" and be scored separately from the SV650s, Duc 800s, EX650s.  Let them race LWGP, GTLights, and Thunderbike.  They have no business in LWSS or LWSB.  Also, they need to come up with something so the guys on EX500s, FZR400s, and Honda Hawks can have a place to play.  A sportsman class again!

apriliaman

That rule sounds ok.I got a fzr 400 that needs to be raced again,but i dont have room to bring 3 bikes to the track.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

roadracer162

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

MACOP1104

Does anyone feel like coming forward with HP numbers on some of the bigger Ducatis and Bimotas in CCS lightweight?   
I'll start if it means anyhting.  My superstock SV has a bone stock motor with a leo pipe and a power commander.  I run pump gas and it has 73hp.  Right now, the top end is getting freshened up, with new rings, a SS legal valve job, decking the heads, thin head gasket, and degreeing the cams.  On  pump gas, I should have 78ish HP. 
My SBK SV is a 677 and has 87HP on 100 octane non oxygenated fuel.

Ducmarc

119 on the 748 and its everything we can do to keep up with markie at the helm 94 and a lot lighteron the 900. Eveyone needs to worry about the 250s the bimotas are old news now

roadracer162

Well I must say that Duane here in Florida has said his SS sv has 84hp. Not stock but built to SS spec. My duc 800 produced 87hp. Duane's sv pulls on me. Gino's duc 1000(stock) produces in the90 hp range and he pulls on me. What I speak of is straight line speed. In Florida I have been able to race with bob Cole on his Nikita and sometimes I beat him. I also race against. Benny on his 900 which has a good amount of trick stuff. I have always admired riders that can take a little and achieve a lot. Ther are many la bikes that have some middleweight speed. Just saying.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

MACOP1104

Wow, that's a healthy SS SV.  84 HP on a 2nd gen SV is really pushing the stock rods. 
I'm assuming that is with MR12 or some other rocket fuel.  $25 a gal fuel is not in my budget!   

roadracer162

So I noticed some typos after reading my post-such is it when using a phone to post.

I race against Bob on his Bimota and do well at times.

I am not sure if it is MR12 but I think we can safely presume so. On the note of the MR12-You don't think that someone capable of purchasing a Bimota will use pump gas do ya? I hear the MR12 is some cheap HP giving one stock SV rider an additional 10hp on the same dynos those Bimotas are being tested on. I just can't use MR12 with this motor with high compression pistons. It may be better for me to go back to stock pistons and then use MR12.

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

MACOP1104

MRX01 is the high-octane equivalent of MR12 for big comp motors.  They also have Oxygenated c16  now.    Ya I'm sure if you can take a bike that costs 32 grand and then dump a bunch of cash into a superbike motor for it, the $200-$300 fuel bill for a weekend isn't going to be a big deal.

Farmboy

In response to the original post by Gino, I don't know about the current Monster, but my '08 S2R seems to be a pretty good bike. We actually met down at Daytona at the '09 ROC; maybe you remember me? Yellow bike, yellow plates, #904? Anyway, I think I ran 5th fastest overall in the 4 ltwt races I competed in, so I think the bike has merit... I'm still developing it, and I hope to go much faster on it eventually. Again, I don't know about the current bike. I actually considered buying the new model for a SS legal bike but instead opted for another '08 S2R as I thought it would be better to run the same chassis. (Which, incidentally, I just sold. Work was so slow right after I bought it, I never did a thing to it, and I have some other priorities right now. Oh well.) It sure was fun running my bike naked down at Daytona...

In response to the request for HP #'s, my bike made 95 hp and 67ft/lbs on a Dynojet Dyno. Engine mods consisted of Pistal 11.25 pistons, DP Hypermotard cams, 2mm over intake valves w/ some very light porting by DucShop (Mark Sutton told me that the stock heads flow very well, so they just clean them up a bit), a PowerCommander, open airbox w/ K&N,  and a lightened flywheel. That's it; nothing on the bottom end, and I run 93 octane pump gas. I purposely didn't look for more power as I want to be able to run the bike for multiple seasons; when it gets tired, I'll probably bore the cylinders and take it to 1080. As far as chassis mods, I have 996 Showa forks, a Penske double clicker, and Marchesini 5 spoke magnesium hoops off my old 996 (these are dated 1995!!!). The bike weighs around 370 on the ASRA scale with some gas in it, and I don't have a slipper clutch, speed shifter, or even a steering damper, although I'll get around to the latter 2 at some point...

The bike, as it sits, is still better than I am as a rider, so that's why I haven't done more. As I improve, I'll improve the bike. I hope to get way more track time this year as I was only able to run once last year. Oh, and I race Ducatis because I've always liked them - I've owned several in the past, and I still have 4 of them, all 2 valvers. I consider myself very lucky to be able to do so, but, on the other hand, if I had more than 2 brain cells, I'd race an SV for sure.

Whatever. There will always be a better ride out there. It's not the bike that bends, it's the rider. There is no spoon.
Jim Berard CCS MW#904