Racing Resume

Started by Litespeed, March 29, 2002, 10:03:35 AM

Litespeed

SInce I am a newbie but my dad is connected all over town, he has set me up for a sponshorship deal with a company that sales trailers.  I am a first year rider and have no idea what to put on my "resume".  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

sportbikepete

Litespeed

I was thinking:  Will letter trailer with your business name if you give it to me.  Actually the pathetic thing is I bought a van so I don't need a trailer but my dad had everything mostly set up by the time he talked to me.

roadracer68

tell the truth,  ;D it always works best. try telling them what you can do for them, how you will tell everyone to purchase there trailers from them.  do not think you have to be a world superbike guy to have a good resume. Just tell them the truth about just starting out , but you will rersent there name in a top notch form.

I make resume's for many other racers, a quick easy note is to go into your microsoft word program and just use the resume wizard to walk you through it. look into the future no recall the past.

patrick weekley

Riva yamaha racing  

Super Dave

A resume of any kind is great.  However, the biggest trick is keeping people informed of what you're doing.

So, most importantly, after a race or appearance or whatever you do, make a "press release" - something that tells everyone, on paper, what you did.  

It's great to tell someone, but when you've got it on paper...

How many times do you look at a magazine.  Lots!  Same will go for a little press release.
Super Dave

Eddie#200

QuoteA resume of any kind is great.  However, the biggest trick is keeping people informed of what you're doing.

Good tip Dave!  Here's what I do... I've been sending out a news letter to my friends and sponsors before and after race weekends.  I started at the begining of the season and the folks are expecting it now.  If I'm a day late I get email asking why.  Kinda cool!

rsmith

Anyone willing to share a sample resume?

I'm in the process of putting a resume together and I'd be interested in seeing what others have done.

Thanks,

sportbikepete

Rob e-mail me man, I'm sure Miller told you the luck I've been having. I'll help you out with what I have and lead you in some directions.
pete@sportbikemadnessracing.com

fourandsix

Every year I get hundreds of resumes , The best resume you can have is no more than 2 pages long.most potential sponsors never read the things anyway . Just put down pertinent stats leave the pictures off, they know you race motorcycles. Larry Denning had the best one last year , it was one page long.

mdr14

Everyone I'm sure looks or wants different information in a resume.

What I don't like to see in a resume:
I don't like resumes from people who have not done their research and ask for support in areas not pertinent to the business they are writing.

For example, I have recently received several resumes from people asking for Nutec fuel sponsorship. A clear example of someone not doing their homework. MD Racing is a performance shop, not a fuel manufacturer

I am not too fond of resumes that aren't specific in what is being asked for.

Usually in that case I thank them for the resume, give a brief description of what I do and leave the ball in their court.

What I like to see in a resume:
I like to see goals for their race season. I like to see a history of race experience.
I want to now what bike will be raced.
I want to know what series that will be raced.
I want to see specifically what is desired in sponsorship.
I also want to know how sponsorship will benefit the shop.

Sponsorship is advertising. It is not charity. Tell a prospective sponsor why it is worthwhile to sponsor you. How are you, the racer, going to increase market awareness of a product or service that the prospective sponsor offers?

On a national scale, that may be hard to document for a product like RK chain. But on a regional scale, for a business such as mine, I can chart the effectiveness of sponsorship of individual racers.

What I think is effective is a one page cover letter with a one page resume. I like to see a nice sliderphoto.com  picture included.

I know in the past if a sponsorship has proven successful, I increase the level of support, Sometimes even as soon as mid season.

What I have found to produce desirable results is a follow up call. " Hi, I'm Joe Racer, I sent you a resume requesting sponsorship 2 weeks ago. I was following up on that to see if you recieved it?"

That shows initiative. Sometimes if I have someone that I am on the fence about, I wait to see if I get a follow up phone call. I know I have recieved free product because of a follow up phone call.

I must warn you that some people that are in charge of the racer support programs may not like the phone call, But I personally find it important.

I must say, that the past few years, the free stuff is harder to come by. But sometimes its great to get your foot in the door.

Also the prime time to get resumes out is end of september and through October.

Do some research and find out when a particular company takes resumes. That way you'll be prepared.

Matt Drucker

Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com