Protective Gear Question

Started by Knightslugger, December 07, 2009, 12:26:58 AM

Knightslugger

ohhhhh, it's for helmet registration... basically warranty. that right there says no way.

any other leads?

DEVINC

It's slow today....

So did you put that HJC to rest yet? Are you gonna display it or throw it in the dumpster?

....... man i'm bored

Knightslugger

no, not yet. i'm waiting for rick to get back to me.

Burt Munro

Sorry about that.  I can't think of anyone closer than 100 miles to you whose opinion I would respect.

I really don't think it would make much difference to you anyway - unless they were to tell the helmet was fine to use.

Just go with another helmet and bring your old helmet with you for someone to look at ( might make for an entertaining discussion if nothing else).
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Knightslugger

It would make a difference to me if it made a difference to you! But, that's my plan at this point. bring the replacement, bring the questionable, and see where we go.

skiandclimb

Quote from: Knightslugger on December 10, 2009, 05:41:07 PM
It would make a difference to me if it made a difference to you! But, that's my plan at this point. bring the replacement, bring the questionable, and see where we go.

And with this..... the heavens parted, a ray of sunshine was brought forth onto the non-believer, and angels sang in unison- Hallelujah!

Peace be with you.
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

Knightslugger

Hey, if the HJC passes, i'll be wearing it.

*and just like that, God said, ".......NAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!" and it became overcast again...*

twilkinson3

Hey Slugger you going racer this year?  Haven't seen/heard from you in a while on the ole 600rr boards heh - happy to see you getting a replacement (there are places today you can get a wonderful shoeii rf-1000 dirt cheap for instance - PM me if yer still local to Milwaukee I can see about hooking you up)

Didn't see this till it made 11 pages and didn't stop to read it all - I have a Shoeii that went into the RA turn 1 rock pit somewhere between 100 and 140 mph, that CF one of yours looks worse.....

roadracer162

Quote from: DEVINC on December 09, 2009, 11:58:26 AM
If it's an HJC i sure as hell hope not. Shame on them if they do sell one of their helmets for $500.

I used to be able to get a solid Arai helmet (quantam 2) for like $275 total after tax about a year or two ago. I can still buy them rather cheap, but not that cheap.  :banghead:

+1 Steve for recommending Arai. Even if they wouldn't test them, I still would buy them. They rock!

Cycle Gear has the close-out Quantum2 for $325. I am gonna pick up a couple plain jane solid just to have them. $500? not for me. Arai quantum is plenty good.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

DEVINC

Quote from: skidMARK on December 23, 2009, 08:46:29 PM
Cycle Gear has the close-out Quantum2 for $325. I am gonna pick up a couple plain jane solid just to have them. $500? not for me. Arai quantum is plenty good.

Mark

:ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh:

but...... would you want to buy one that was made in 2008? What is your stance on that Mark?

Knightslugger

Quote from: twilkinson3 on December 23, 2009, 06:15:23 PM
Hey Slugger you going racer this year?  Haven't seen/heard from you in a while on the ole 600rr boards heh - happy to see you getting a replacement (there are places today you can get a wonderful shoeii rf-1000 dirt cheap for instance - PM me if yer still local to Milwaukee I can see about hooking you up)

Didn't see this till it made 11 pages and didn't stop to read it all - I have a Shoeii that went into the RA turn 1 rock pit somewhere between 100 and 140 mph, that CF one of yours looks worse.....

HEY! Yeah still kickin... i didn't hear about your ride through the gravel... i know two corner workers that have had to dig bikes out of there... needless to say, they wont be working that corner again!

the helmet just looks bad. it's the clearcoat that i think makes it look worse than it really is... but we wont go down that ugly road again.

Doctor

FWIW Charles, that helmet would never go on my head with that kind of damage. I have retired two helmets in 2 years with less damage than that visibly. Price tag on the two of them combined is well over 1000 dollars. The EPS inside was compressed from my head on both of them, with no shell breakage. One of the crashes was at 20 mph. It doesn't take much to kill the lid, but the lid keeps the crash from killing you or at the very least, allowing you to have a new career in napkin folding to look forward to.
Wisconsin SportBikes Racing Team, Zone Photo, Dunlop, MotoVid.com, Blackhawk Farms Raceway

Jim Lilly
CCS Ex #703