News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Protective Gear Question

Started by Knightslugger, December 07, 2009, 12:26:58 AM

Burt Munro

Quote from: Knightslugger on December 08, 2009, 09:51:55 PM
Marshfield, WI
OK, let me work on that.  First thought I had was Jay, one of our Tech guys who lives in Appleton.  Let me see if we can come up with someone closer to you.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Burt Munro

I like to hang onto Grid sheets from past races.  The Grid sheets usually list hometowns for each of the riders.
Let me see what I can dig up.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

HAWK

Help me out here.

What I seem to remember over the last 8 pages was a whole bunch of people saying that the helmet was suspect and that they would replace it. Oh yeah, and you explaining why of those people were wrong. I just don't seem to have caught the gloom and doom part.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Team Spalding

Quote from: Burt Munro on December 08, 2009, 08:21:54 PM
Don'cha just love the off-season!  :thumb:

And Knightslugger, I look forward to meeting you next Spring.  I'll be sure to introduce you to my friend Larry Manor.  He's the Head Tech Inspector for the Midwest Region.  Just about everybody on this board has had the pleasure of having a friendly conversation or two with Larry.  Either in the Midwest Region or at Daytona. Larry's a real 'no grey area' kind of guy so you two should hit it off instantly!   :thumb:    :biggrin:
:lmao:
Joel Spalding
CCS & ASRA #36

Sponsors: Michelin, Ducati Of Indy, Wife Cindy, Held Gloves, Southeast Sales.

Knightslugger

Quote from: Burt Munro on December 08, 2009, 10:06:47 PM
I like to hang onto Grid sheets from past races.  The Grid sheets usually list hometowns for each of the riders.
Let me see what I can dig up.

pardon, but a racer isn't going to know the technicals for pass/fail on a helmet. they, like the rest of the racers (and non-racers) here, are going to be using their predetermined opinion regarding helmet replacement. The only person that's going to know just how hard that helmet was hit is going to be ME.

if there was a place where i could send this in to have tested and certified, that would certainly put this whole thing to bed.

if only people would stop talking about the what if's and OHMYGOSH of helmets and actually render some much needed direction to getting THIS HELMET certified or uncertified... but everyone is so hung up on the notion that if it isn't brand new, it's compromised and I should just fork over 500 bones for a new one... instead of getting it test for $20 (or whatever). Besides let's face it, just because another racer tells YOU that they think it's fine doesn't really mean squat come race day. As was said before it's going to come down to the Tech inspector that day, and if all goes as was stated in this thread, the head tech who'd basically going to say no to just about anything presented before him if it's damaged at all. because he's no-grey man.

...and basically shoot my whole season in the ass.

Knightslugger

that might have come across a little crass. don't take it the wrong way.

Knightslugger

Gntbldr dragged my ass back home back in June. maybe he or his wife remembers?

at least i have an extra helmet coming... doesn't mean i'm now not going to get raped at tech...

motomaniac

ok, how about this question.  if the helmet is over five years old, would you replace it even if it has never seen the ground? 

Ex#61

Knightslugger

Look here mister, i'll ask the questions...! lol

Honestly? probably not. but i don't own a 5 year old helmet, i'd imagine over 5 years the thing would begin to reek like used hockey equipment and i'd want to replace it anyway...

explain to me why i would (or should) consider it. i'll listen. i promise.

tstruyk

Quote...and basically shoot my whole season in the ass.

if a new helmet is going to shoot your entire season you ought to give some serious thought to re-examining your budget.

Brother you asked for an opinion, RIcks giving you an opportunity to have either:

A:  an actual tech inspector review your helmet IN PERSON
B:  a rider who is seasoned enough (I love it when the mutton is seasoned just right, they're so perky I love them... thats for you Farmboy  :biggrin:) to make the same judgment call, a racer he would trust to make the RIGHT call.  and yes there are some out there that would be able to.

wtf more do you want???

Quote from: Knightslugger on December 08, 2009, 11:18:12 PM
Look here mister, i'll ask the questions...! lol

Honestly? probably not. but i don't own a 5 year old helmet, i'd imagine over 5 years the thing would begin to reek like used hockey equipment and i'd want to replace it anyway...

explain to me why i would (or should) consider it. i'll listen. i promise.

you want the short answer??  lol

because it wont pass tech!   :ass:

and no I'm not kidding

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Knightslugger

and again, where on Earth does it say that it wouldn't pass tech? It's nowhere to be found in the rule book.

dylanfan53

God says so...and in tech Larry is God, and you're screwed.  :biggrin:
Don Cook
CCS #53