Rules on Vin # and Engine #'s

Started by gsxrsrad1000, January 31, 2005, 06:54:50 AM

gsxrsrad1000

Hello, I will be new to CCS this year.  I am in the process of prepping my race bike and I wanted to know if you have to have a valid VIN # inorder to race?  The Frame I have does not have a VIN number on it.  Also the engine that I have was purchased off ebay as a insurance salvage motor and that motor has no number on it either.  I know State regulations are strict about that stuff if you want to ride the bike legally on the street, but this bike is strictly for the track and I am hoping I didn't waste my money on rebuilding this bike?  Please advise and thanks for the reply in advance.

Thingy

I am not sure if the rulebook requires a VIN.  I can tell you that they don't normally check VINs when you go through tech.

However, there have been times in the past when the police show up to look for stolen motorcycles.  They would probably not look to kindly on a bike without a VIN.
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

gsxrsrad1000

yeah but if you have a race frame, they do not come with vins so I think a person would ok in that case

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quoteyeah but if you have a race frame, they do not come with vins so I think a person would ok in that case

But they usually come with a MSO and a serial number on them normally. If you have the proper paperwork, I'm guessing you'd be fine.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Mark Bernard

The rules state that you must have un-altered VIN numbers BUT... There is an exception for such bikes as yours and mine.

I bought my Buell from the the factory Race Director @ Buell. This bike was a factory "buy back" bike that I purchased and my VIN numbers have been all X'd out and replaced with "For race use only" stamped on the frame and engine.

Since the bike does not have VIN numbers per say, it is an un titleable bike.

However... I have the purchase slip from Buell (the actual pink slip) with the original VIN number for record. I keep a copy of this document with me at all times in the race trailer so I can provide it upon request. (which however no one has ever asked to see)

All tho...  when you fill out your contigency form for Tech inspection, it will ask you to provide the VIN number to the bike in which you are racing. In this space I will usually put "Race Bike #1"

Here is the link to the CCS on line rule book... http://www.formulausa.com/forms

Thant about it. I hope this help's out. Mark!
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

gsxrsrad1000

Cool thanks alot for the replys, this helps out tramendously, last question is can you race with a kickstand? or do they make you remove that as well?

Mark Bernard

QuoteCool thanks alot for the replys, this helps out tramendously, last question is can you race with a kickstand? or do they make you remove that as well?

You must remove it.
Mark (Bernie) Bernard

Mark Bernard

By the way... welcome to the show! Your gonna have a great time. Have fun! Mark!
Mark (Bernie) Bernard

gsxrsrad1000

Thanks Mark for the welcoming and I appreciate all the feedback.  I should be finished with my bike in early April and I hope to start by then.  I will keep in touch with this board.  This is a great way to stay in touch with people that share the same passion with each other.

Rick Beggs

no vin is ok, altered or removed vin is the problem, if yours has been altered or removed, be sure u have the proper paper work at all times
RICK BEGGS
RnRCycles VPLubricants TuckerPowerSports FullSpectrumPower MotoLiberty RSTaichi AraiHelmet EBCBrakes EvansCoolant EVS DIDChains MaacoSterling ArmourBodies LextekMotorcycle WoolichRacing Woodcraft JTSprockets ZeroGravityRacing PitBull Lapking ChickenHawk PodiumMotorsportsPirelli