News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Just another stupid question.....

Started by Xian_13, January 17, 2003, 05:43:05 PM

Xian_13

I am failing to understand what the big deal is between being an AM and an EX

Aside form possibly tougher Competition ( buts isn't that why we are all out ther anyways?)
Why would you want to be a Am over being an EX? ???
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

sportbikepete

It's called cherry picking most of the time. Some guys just want wood but others truly are not ready to bump up but have scored tons of points just by doing a lot of weekends.

Xian_13

I figured the cherry picking part... what we won't do for a 3 dollar peice of wood...

But the guys running alot of races, whats the differance if they are running Middle+ to not quite as fast. I mean, these are the guys (like me) that are just out there to have fun and we know were are never going to be superstars.. so why would it matter?
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

sportbikepete

Example. There is a guy in my region that I see at every race and is way off the pace, however he went to tons of races and finished every race and scored lots of points but no way he should be EX.

Xian_13

Understood, but like the GT races, they are run with AMs and EXs...  soh how does that make a differance?
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

sportbikepete

What region are you in? Mid-Atlantic AM and EX GT races are seperate.

Xian_13

CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

Bernie

This topic has always amazed me.  I never finished higher than second as an amatuer.  I only raced at one track my first season, and didn't even consider I'd score enough point to become an expert.  When I got my license renewal last year and it was preprinted with the words "expert", I turned into a goofy geek (well, goofier than normal).  I couldn't even sleep that night.  Sounds silly maybe, but that was a huge goal of mine, and I really feel honored to display white number plates. :)

sdiver68

The difference can easily be $500-1000 per weekend in contingencies and payouts, that's huge for some.  Not to mention, being bumped "early" means you may no longer be racing with your friends, the whole reason to go racing in the first place for some of us.
MCRA Race School Instructor

Super Dave

Yeah, but all the racers are part of a community...(makes it all sound so sweet...)  But you get new friends.  Or racing friends become tuners.

I mean, where can you get anything like this?  And who can you share it with?  Someone that rides on the street?  No.  Mom?  She'll listen.

Super Dave

oldguy

Ohhhh NNooooo, not my Mom. She's really ticked that an old guy my age would be racing. And my wife saw me crash, so she's not goin' to any races wtih me. I have to ride and pit - won't be fun I don't think.

EX#996

QuoteOhhhh NNooooo, not my Mom. She's really ticked that an old guy my age would be racing. And my wife saw me crash, so she's not goin' to any races wtih me. I have to ride and pit - won't be fun I don't think.

From the female point of view...

Mom - give her enough time, she'll get over it.  (you just need to encourage her to come and watch a few races).

Your wife - It sucks to see your husband crash.  We're women, emotional creatures.  We hate to see anyone we care about hurt themselves.  Hopefully when you did crash, you didn't hurt yourself *too* badly.  Share with her the emotions that you feel when racing (we like that when our men share their feelings ya' know  ;)).  Assure her that you will do everything in your power to stay safe with leathers, equipment and racing etiquette and explain it to her if she'll listen.  If she does come to the races, be sure to introduce her to other racing wives.  She may come around.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton