News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Infested

Started by Court Jester, August 24, 2007, 04:55:50 PM

Court Jester

I need some insight on a minor infestation. Some people have mice, some roaches, (that gives me the willies just thinking about it, some may have ants, rats, whatever. I'm kind of an anal retentive person about things like this which only makes it that much worse. But I don't have any of the above.
I have bats that have decided to take over my house. I have cleared the house of TEN bats since Monday. This is just nuts.

I got a few over the winter and have been hearing something in the ceiling and the walls. I assumed they were mice so I pulled out one of the ceiling lights in the kitchen on Sunday and set out some traps, 12 mousetraps and 4 of those sticky pads. I tied some strings to them and pushed them back as far as I could. Since then I have caught 6 from there, killed one in the basement, and stomped one in the shower floor. I woke up today and got my coffee and flipped on CNN. I put the recliner back and looked up and there was a bat hanging from the rafter above my head. Looked around a little more and there was another one hanging from the rafter on the other side of the room. I got them with a little bb gun. "One shot, one kill. HHOOOORRRRAAAAA!!!!"

I have checked the chimneys and both screens and caps are still in place, all of the attic vents have screens on the inside, and I can't find a single crack or hole anywhere on the outside of the house where they might be getting in.

Does anybody know of anyway to get rid of these freaky little things? Is there anything that keeps them away? This is getting a little out of hand.     
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

sryan296

Do like ozzy and bite there heads off!

Court Jester

I need a few flying cats to keep outside.
CCS# 469

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

Ducmarc

you'ved been hexed by the antiwheelie squad.......there's got to be a hole somewhere we live in the country so always fighting mice. one night the birds were going crazy turned the lights on and there was a large rat snake in the kitchen dumped him out by the barn the next day he was back had to take him up the road never did find the hole. do you have central air?or maybe around a wall unit? think they only eat live bugs and mosquitos so don't think you can posion them without a tent

RCR_531

Be careful they are protected. All they need is a nickel size hole to fit through and they are in. Maybe if you put  some bat houses out they may move out of yours. They do eat a lot of bugs.
Rodney LeQuia

Biggs Motorsports  RCR Kawasaki  SBS Vortex  Conti
Lithum Motorsports

Burt Munro

I'm sure you've already been checking the internet for info....

I did find this article that seemed reputable and had some good info.

http://www.entm.purdue.edu/Entomology/ext/targets/ADM/ADMPDF/ADM-11.pdf
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Court Jester

thanks for that post burt. pretty interesting.
i found a sonic pest remover thingy-majig on the net. I'm going to order it and see if it helps at all. can't hurt anyway.
CCS# 469

Woofentino Pugrossi

Fuck using a bb gun, I'd use a 12 ga. :biggrin:

Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

barb_arah

Wow, talk about an infestation!  Sounds like a scene from a horror movie.  I sure hope it isn't like the old saying about grey hairs...you pull out one and three more grow in.
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.

Court Jester

found one spot and got it closed off. i'm heading out of town this weekend and a guy is coming in on saturday to seal it up and kill whatever may be left of the little bastages
CCS# 469

spyderchick

Quote from: barb_arah on August 25, 2007, 11:34:05 AMI sure hope it isn't like the old saying about grey hairs...you pull out one and three more grow in.

Tell ya what, who ever has grey hair: start pulling them and see if you have fuller head of hair in 3 months.  :biggrin:

To think, balding people keep rubbing goop on their heads and paying for Hair Club and all they needed to do was pull the ol' grey ones!  :lmao:

Yeah, it has nothing to do with bats, but now you have something weird to ponder, (like y'all needed anything else.)
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

tstruyk

my folks have been trying go lure bats to their house... mind you not in... but around.

As mentioned they eat alot of bugs. I'd seal off the house maybe kill the one's inside...but then build/buy a bat house and throw it on your roof or chimney...

Alexa I have NEVER rubbed goop on my head... unless you count the shaving cream.  Bald is in and I'm ridin the wave!!   8)
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

chaplain220

Wow, cops by day, bats by night, interesting little town you live in.  Garlic, is I believe, the recommended repellant if they start to go for the neck.  

spyderchick

Quote from: chaplain220 on August 29, 2007, 02:32:10 PM
Wow, cops by day, bats by night, interesting little town you live in.  Garlic, is I believe, the recommended repellant if they start to go for the neck. 

That works about as well as pulling grey hair.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

23sLady

My guy is scared of spiders. I wonder what he'd do if he saw a bat in our house. hehe Probably scream at me to "getttt ittttttttttt" :-)

Good luck with the bat situation. It does sound like a horror movie. :-)

Burt Munro

Quote from: barb_arah on August 25, 2007, 11:34:05 AM
I sure hope it isn't like the old saying about grey hairs...you pull out one and three more grow in.

I've been working on that one for years!!!!  I think I - almost - got it solved!! :thumb:

:lmao:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!