News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Question about first race

Started by GAMEDIC, August 19, 2002, 07:26:56 PM

TZDeSioux

ecumike... man you got some high quality photos on your site....  very cool

ecumike

Yea... I didn't know that changing the brake fluid when it's black, makes that much difference... I don't recommend grabbing a handful of brakes just after changing the fluid, on the end of a straight... Man I'm so pissed at that one.. did a nice rolling endo and went off roading, blew the lead and my $ for that race.

TZDeSioux

Quoteyea, as pitiful as it sounds... jets?... yea, I kinda know what they are, but have no idea about them, changing them, how they work, where they are, etc...  Hell I didn't even know what a piston  and cylinder looked like, until my engine seized in April and I had to replace the top-end... what a learning experience that was.

And I know, once you do it one time, it's easy the rest, but it's just those initial first steps that's tough to get through.

I know, it's sad.. but hey.. I'm a rider, not a mechanic., but slowly becoming both.  ;)

Mike,
a bunch of my buddies race the aprilia and by the time they get their gas tank, air box and the 100 different hoses off off their rs... i can replace a top end on my bike. They're designed to disassemble as quick as possible. You'll save yourself alot of headaches by switching to a TZ. You should probably wait till end of next season... there's probably going to be a boatload of AMA 250 guys dumping their bikes :)

ecumike

Quoteecumike... man you got some high quality photos on your site....  very cool

Thanks, but the credit goes to my Brother in Law.. Ryan Schlagheck.. if you've heard of him.. http://www.superbikepics.com,  and my friend, Keith Shearon http://www.motographic.com (official CCS photographer)

I actually used to shoot photos and write the race reports for CCS.. however, they're still up on the site http://ccsracing.com/photos.asp

ecumike

QuoteMike,
a bunch of my buddies race the aprilia and by the time they get their gas tank, air box and the 100 different hoses off off their rs... i can replace a top end on my bike. They're designed to disassemble as quick as possible. You'll save yourself alot of headaches by switching to a TZ.

Yea, that's what Roach told me.  I still haven't see the 'inside' of a TZ, but that's what I hear, how EASY it is... yea the 250 is/was a pain to do the top end.. I dropped the engine to make it easier.

QuoteYou should probably wait till end of next season.. there's probably going to be a boatload of AMA 250 guys dumping their bikes :)

HAHA :) maybe that's a good idea.

ecumike

Sorry for the stupidity, but what's the deal with that?.. why doesn't the TZ have all those cables and hoses that the RS does?

TZDeSioux

QuoteSorry for the stupidity, but what's the deal with that?.. why doesn't the TZ have all those cables and hoses that the RS does?

Well to start off with.. the motor you have in your RS is basically a motor off of a Suzuki RGV250 streetbike so there's alot of additional crap on that bike that you don't need for racing. I think aprilia basically threw on some race bodywork and shipped it out as a racebike. The TZ is purpose built for racing so anything unneccesary is left off. Everything on the TZ is there for the sake of racing. No oil injectors.. no huge air box with a filter, no idle circuitry on the carbs. I think there's like 4 vent hoses on your rs that can be removed.. not really sure though. If you ever see a guy named YTAK1 on this board... he's the aprilia man... he can tell you exactly what you can remove or not. :)

Eric Kelcher

TZ is designed as a race bike with frequent top engine jet changes.
The Aprilia RS250 is designed as a street bike and less frequent changes and more appearance concerns
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

GAMEDIC

And this was just going to be a simple quick thread...LOL :o

ecumike

yea, sorry GAMEDIC, didn't mean to 'take over' the thread.