Help me raise money for a great cause!

Started by Farmboy, September 26, 2013, 08:34:54 PM

Farmboy

Hey Guys, I've been on here a while, but I'm going to start out with a formal intro on this post because I'm going to hit you up for a great cause, with a real twist. My name is Jim Berard. This is me.
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/Farmboy182/DSC03910_zps8d64f968.jpg

I live in Villa Park, Illinois, and one of my passions is racing 2 valve, air-cooled Ducatis in regional and national club-racing events and series.  I've been on the track since '04, and doing sanctioned racing since '08 with a pretty fair degree of success - several national(5) and regional(6) and track championships , with numerous(20+) podium finishes in additional national, regional, and track championships. Please do not mistake this for bragging, I just want you to know a little of our past successes, because I'm looking to elevate my program for the '14 season in (for me) a very ambitious way, and I'm going to ask you guys for just a little bit of help in a moment.

In a nutshell, our objectives are as follows. Work has already begun in many areas.

- Work to solicit manufacturers for material, service, and /or financial support for a true team.
- Work to solicit manufacturers, non-industry businesses, and individuals for donations for our charitable cause.
- Compete in, and win, a national series championship while promoting our sponsors and cause in the best and most professional manner.

So, this is a multi-pronged effort involving the preparation/construction of 2 new bikes, the elevation of our team in terms of obligations and responsibilities, actually chasing a championship, and, most importantly, promoting awareness of, and benefitting a terrible disease called Friedreich's Ataxia. FA is a terrible, inherited autosomal genetic disease which is progressive, debilitating, life-shortening, and currently untreatable and incurable. For more details, go here http://www.curefa.org/whatis.html

This is a rare disorder for sure, but for me, it's very personal. These are the 2 daughters, Angelina and Samantha, of one of my oldest friends. Both have recently been diagnosed with Freidrich's Ataxia.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/Farmboy182/836_zps0eb22734.jpghttp://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/Farmboy182/836_zpsef79fc14.jpg

Their father quit his job immediately when Angelina was diagnosed in the spring to focus his efforts on whatever he can do to fight this disease - no lie, that's just the kind of guy he is, all in. Samantha was positively diagnosed with FA just last week.

So, I want to use my racing to help my friend and his family and raise awareness of this little-known disease. It doesn't hurt to have a good cause, too, as I'm constantly conflicted about the more selfish and cavalier aspects of racing, of which there are many,but that's another story.

I've been brainstorming on ways I can do this in a synergistic way with the racing, and here's an idea I came up with that I can do, starting today, to jumpstart my program and benefit FA right now.

Physical fitness is a hugely important aspect of roadracing, so what I'm proposing is a virtual extended bike-a-thon. Here is exactly what I want to do. Please feel free to make any suggestions.

I have several actual bicycles, and also a stationary recumbent Lifecycle. My goal is to ride a minimum of 500 actual or virtual miles by December 31st of this year, and I'm asking for a pledge of $.01 cent per mile. For every mile beyond that, I'm asking for 2 cents a mile. I will provide proof of all mileage here with pictures of either a gps readout from my phone or a picture of the display on my stationary bike. I'd like for you to sign up here, in this post, and pm me an e-mail address. Come Dec 31st, mail a check or Paypal a gift, and I'll write a check for FA.

I will provide any appropriate and available documentation to anyone who wants it; this is all above board. I'm an honest person, and this is admittedly a hugely ambitious undertaking, so if all goes as planned, there will plenty of documentation of our efforts. This is way too much work to scam folks for a few bucks, and besides, it's all voluntary on your part anyway.

And that's it. I'm intentionally keeping this simple. I plan on posting this up today in these forums:

http://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com/ - http://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133858
http://www.ccsforum.com/
http://bmxmuseum.com/ - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=543641

These are the 3 forums I visit with any regularity, so this is where I'm starting. I'm also going to start a facebook page for the team, and we will soon be utilizing the website of our sponsoring dealership, TeamMCC.com, to document the many facets of our efforts this year. For now, though, this is something I can do immediately.

Mods, if this is not kosher, I apologize. I can submit references and my race resume if you guys need it. Otherwise, I'm asking for a voluntary donation of 5-10 dollars for a very good cause. Let me stress that 100% of all donations will go to the FA organization of my friend's choosing, no ifs, ands, or buts.

I hope this is ok, and that you guys will see fit to help. Regardless, I will begin posting my mileage tonight, and I will also update this thread with links to our FB page, web page, and any other developments as they happen.

Wish me luck. I'm going to need it, as this is the most ambitious thing I've ever done. I'll be honest, I am scared out of my wits, but I want to give back in a way that matters, and I'm going all in, just like racing. It's the only way to do it, and I hope you can help.

Thank you for your consideration.

Jim
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

Farmboy

Jim Berard CCS MW#904

Farmboy

Hoo, I'm bushed. Headed out when it was light, dark when I got home. Same bike, same trail, just went farther. Didn't really eat right beforehand, so the last half hour was a bit tough. Good endorphin rush, though, for sure.

Random thoughts.
-Lot of feral cats out on the path. Folks should listen to Bob Barker.
-Ate a lot of bugs at dusk. Not too much I can do about that, but I need to find my riding specs.
-I was hoping I'd brainstorm more ideas on how I'm going to benefit FA, but it turns out we already have quite a few, so it turns out I was able to start fine tuning a bit. This is a pleasant surprise, and a relief.

I talked to my friend for quite a while today and learned a lot. I'd elaborate, but I gotta finish stretching and then I'm going to make some nachos. Reward time. It's been a topsy-turvy week for sure. Peace.

Oops, almost forgot. 46.76 miles.
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

Farmboy

Look at that map. This is a fun ride, the Salt Creek trail, up through Cricket Creek preserve and so on. Nighttime, my trusty 20" Powerlite, my favorite rider this year. Sorry I messed up the phone capture, there is a very good reason I race 2v Ducs - (in my best Ali G voice) "Techmology. What is it?"

I had to do the selfie to do it justice. Lights, clipped pedals swapped from the Trek, bottle of water in my back pocket; I am a hillbilly yahoo at heart. Check that map again, though; all the little squigglies are 2-lane blacktop through wooded areas - my light is a little 5-bulb led job, and there were numerous areas where I nearly outrode it on the 20", which is kind of why I took it instead of the Trek. Plenty of leaves starting to drop too, which only adds to the fun.. If anybody in the city or burbs wants to come ride this one with me, you won't be disappointed.

Wildlife count: bunnies, 1 kitty cat, 5 deer, and either a rodent of some sort or a really big spider, and some of you know how I feel about those..

We saw Rush this afternoon with my race mentor and his wife and gave it a collective 8 thumbs up. Some tough scenes for racers and regular folks alike, but an excellent movie. Too much rain racing, though. I hate racing in the rain.

Enough of that. As I said yesterday, I spoke at length with my friend, Pat. One of the facts he shared with me was that currently, only 4 to 5 million dollars worth of FA research is funded annually, which I found, well, shocking. On the other hand, it makes me realize that anything I can do could potentially be statistically significant. A nice thought considering the long road ahead.

Ok, pasta time. I will be losing quite a bit of weight quickly if I don't up the calories, but then again, less weight is free horsepower.

60.42 miles
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

JSR29

Hi Jim:
You have some official way you want someone to pledge support?
Scott

Farmboy

Scott!

Yep, just say you're in right here.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/Farmboy182/photo_zpsc184ce41.jpg

Last night, dark out, Trek ss, Illinois prairie path. I'd like to get some day rides in, but I'm finishing up my exterior projects on the house, and days are getting shorter fast. Beautiful night, though; 70 degrees, and this particular path is very busy during the day, so it was nice to have it mostly to myself.

80.39 miles

And this is tonight; I'll start combining ride details so as not to make a million posts. Put regular pedals back on the Powerlite and went out for another night ride.

I spoke to a friend in the racing industry a bit yesterday. Apparently, companies pretty much close their books for the upcoming year at the end of October or thereabouts, so the likelihood of procuring sponsorship money for a race team will go from virtually nonexistent to almost practically certainly for sure nonexistent. However, this is not as discouraging as it might seem, as this is absolutely going to be a building effort, and if I have more time to concentrate raising money for FA this year, so much the better. I'll still be racing regardless, and what's important is forward progress.

93.73 miles
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

JSR29

Quote from: Farmboy on October 02, 2013, 11:27:29 PM
Scott!

Yep, just say you're in right here.
I'm in.  Go for it!

Last night, dark out, Trek ss, Illinois prairie path. I'd like to get some day rides in, but I'm finishing up my exterior projects on the house, and days are getting shorter fast. Beautiful night, though; 70 degrees, and this particular path is very busy during the day, so it was nice to have it mostly to myself.

80.39 miles

And this is tonight; I'll start combining ride details so as not to make a million posts. Put regular pedals back on the Powerlite and went out for another night ride.

I spoke to a friend in the racing industry a bit yesterday. Apparently, companies pretty much close their books for the upcoming year at the end of October or thereabouts, so the likelihood of procuring sponsorship money for a race team will go from virtually nonexistent to almost practically certainly for sure nonexistent. However, this is not as discouraging as it might seem, as this is absolutely going to be a building effort, and if I have more time to concentrate raising money for FA this year, so much the better. I'll still be racing regardless, and what's important is forward progress.

93.73 miles

barsch213

I am in with you for sure.  If there is anything else I can do to help outside of here let me know!

IFMracing

GP AM CCS #28 ASRA #128
I.F.M. Racing

RoyHefner

Jim, sorry it took me awhile to get on here, but count me in!
Roy Hefner
CCS / ASRA  #163
J.O.S. Motorsports, MCC, Pirelli, Vortex, Silkolene

MMS

I'm in!  Put me down for 5 cents per mile on the first 500; 2 cents thereafter...because I have a feeling you're going to go way past 500.

Good cause.  Good luck!

Marena

Farmboy

Guys, thank you all for your support!

Sorry I didn't update for a while; last week was a very busy one. Not to worry, though, I'm still doing the miles.

My trusty stationary recumbent Lifecycle, Saturday before last.

This is a variable resistance health-club quality unit. I don't know if I should apply a correction factor or not as I've been averaging around 14 mph on the SSTrek, but this is for a good cause, after all, and I get just as good of a workout on this as a real bike, so maybe not. Also, I'm pretty confident I could do these speeds on a road bike with gears no problem..  As the weather turns, I'll be doing more time on the stationary regardless.

Sunday before last. Great Western Trail out to Illinois Rte 25 in South Elgin. Windy, damp, and gritty, but an awesome ride nonetheless. Left at 4:30, back at 7:30. This is a beautiful trail once you get out a bit.

Thursday night, stationary. Took a few days rest after the previous ride, and as stated, it was a busy week.

This past Saturday, stationary. Had the added benefit of finally making it through the rest of Zero Dark Thirty after many failed previous attempts. I don't know why, but I usually fall asleep during Kathryn Bigelow's movies. Maybe I'm still not over Hurt Locker taking best picture over Avatar: Bogus!

As far as the FB page and other developments, I've backed off a tad as I'm still trying to finish my exterior projects and the days are shortening quickly. No worries, though, as I'm still making incremental progress and will be able to focus more on the whole program in a few weeks.

Again, thanks for the pledges! And please, if anyone else is keeping up with this, please, please, please help. Every penny makes a difference!

So.
135.93 actual miles.
75.96 stationary miles.
211.86 total

Jim Berard CCS MW#904