Buell XB9R Belly Pan

Started by Al_Soran, May 09, 2005, 02:25:35 PM

Al_Soran

Is a belly pan required for the Buell XB9R? I know the rulles require pans for 4 stroke machines with enough capacity to hold the fluid content of the engine, however, the Buell utilizes a dry sump system with the oil stored in the swing arm.

Zac

Hey Ed,

What's this talk about a Buell  ???

In any case, yes the belly pan is still required on a dry sump (Elaine's MZ is dry sump as well with the tank up under the tail section).  Only us 2-strokes can get away without one.  ;D

-z.

PJ

Yep, belly pan is required on all 4-strokes.

You can order the Buell XB belly pan from Buell racing manager Henry Duga.

email him at: henry.duga@buell.com

or

call 262-642-2986 and have him paged.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

Al_Soran

Thanks for the info Zac and Paul. Still undecided if I want to race my XB or not. The cost of a swing arm conversion, bodywork, suspension, etc. may not be worth it relative to buying a prepped SV.
Zac, I have an 03 XB9R that I ride on the street, I've lost interest in street riding so basically it sits in my garage. I may try to at least prep it for Thunderbike on June 5th...just the basics without any suspension mods yet. We'll see.

See ya at Firebird!

PJ

I wouldn't worry about the suspension. The stock stuff works great. I bumped up to heavier springs because I'm over 205, but if you're less than 200, you'll be fine. Seriously, you don't need suspension mods to be competitive.

I run the stock bodywork on my 9. It's pretty tough, the same stuff they make golf balls out of. Heavy but really durable.

If I were you I would try racing with the belt set up before you buy a chain drive conversion. The belt weighs 75% less than a chain (rotational and unsprung mass).

I know of four Midwest Buell racers who run the stock belt set up on their XBs with good success. The gearing may not always be perfect for every track, but the powertrain is very forgiving and has a broad torque curve.

Get it prepped and go for it.

There's Buell contingency $$$ on the table just waiting for you...

Email me if you have more questions. I'd be happy to share more info.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70

Al_Soran

Thanks for the words of encouragment Paul.
I called Henry and got info on what had to be done to the bike for CCS. It seems he can't sell the parts directly to me so I'll have to order through my local dealer, he did however tell me how to accomplish this.
As for the suspension, I weigh about 205 without gear, he gave me some sag numbers for the bike and I'll try to get the set up to work with the stock parts. What springs did you run? I run RaceTech .95's on my EX with emulators, not sure what it will take to get the front end close. Also, brakes. Henry suggested either Nissan Race pads, which he has, or EBC. Any info on either?

Thanks!

PJ

Ed, we weigh about the same, so I would guess my setup might work fine for you.

I use and reccomend the Buell Pro Series suspension kit.

http://www.buell.com/en_us/bikes_gear/accessories/productslist.asp?Menu_ID=4&ID=2169&MITEM=75

I'll PM you my settings.

I've run both the Nissin and the EBC pads. The Nissins seem to have more initial bite and last a little longer. The EBCs are fine, just a little different feel. But I can easily roach a set of EBCs in a weekend, while the Nissins seem to last two weekends.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70

Rhun

any model numbers for Nissin or EBC xb pads?? and other than Buell for the Nissins has a good price.
Able to beat most folks, unless their motor is running.