Started by grasshopper, January 05, 2007, 04:05:39 PM

grasshopper

For my SV

Corrillo H-Beams or Falicon Knife

The corrillos are a little more money.

Super Dave

Super Dave

svracer469

Is this where all of the SV guys aren't offering any advice as to not let their secrets out?  Personally I still have the stock stuff in mine...if they are good enough for Suzuki then they are good enough for me.  Rods are expensive and that same amount of money sure buys alot of track time.   

Back in high school I built a hot-rod and used the Carillo rods.  Guess they never broke but they sure are pretty!

Vic
CCS MW EX 469
1999 SV 650

grasshopper

Dave, never heard of Crower rods. More info please thank you.

Quote from: svracer469 on January 05, 2007, 08:17:35 PM
Is this where all of the SV guys aren't offering any advice as to not let their secrets out?  Personally I still have the stock stuff in mine...if they are good enough for Suzuki then they are good enough for me.  Rods are expensive and that same amount of money sure buys alot of track time.  

Back in high school I built a hot-rod and used the Carillo rods.  Guess they never broke but they sure are pretty!

Vic
CCS MW EX 469
1999 SV 650

Vic, if people don't want to give up info it doesn't matter to me. There is no secrets to building a solid SV superbike motor.  Frankly, I don't care if people know what is done to my motor either. I'm not chasing a championship. I just want to build something strong/mildly powerful/ and reliable for this coming season to race a few expert races and track coach with STT. I'll be on the track alot so a full blown superbike motor isn't happening. I'll run stock heads. But I am definitely spending the money where it counts and on the weak point of the SV and that is on the bottom end (crank) and rods. I've spun my fair share of connecting rods on SV motors. I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th motor being spun up.

I'm going with Brians advice at Valley Racing and going the carrillo rods.

Protein Filled

Nick,

I got 95 hp out of an SV that ran a complete CCS mid-west season. Here are the components I used:

41 mm Flatslide Keihin's
Lightened flywheel
Carrillo H beam rods
1 mm over JE pistons, custom made. Higher compression
Ported Heads <<<--- Very important to get a good engine builder to do the heads. They are worth a lot in hp!
Custom Valve Springs
Ti Valve keepers
Megacycle Stage 3 cams
Undercut magnafluxed tranny

My buddy now owns the bike and she still runs strong.

Carrillo rods are better than Falicon Knife from everything I have heard.

Also, if you ever damage a Carillo rod, you can send it back and they will fix it for cheap.

Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

stumpy

Sorry to thread jack but on another subject... Hey Edgar didn't you have super cool pegs and a high pro shock on that thing too? Oh and the sweet jumps :thumb:

I love you man!

Stumpy
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

K3 Chris Onwiler

Liar!  We all know that there was an SV1000 motor in that thing, and that it made more like 150 horses....
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

benprobst

Hey grasshopper what else are you doing to the motor? if you will be under 90 hp the A beam Carillos should be ok, though the H beam rods are supposed to essentiallly indestructible, I have seen a few to many pics of falicon rods broken to ever be put into one of my motors. But anyway, run the A beams if your under 90, and run the H beams if your over 90 or if you have an extra 100 bucks laying around and want some piece of mind.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

grasshopper

I'm just doing the bottom end for now. I don't have money to do the heads rite now. Getting the crank balanced and good rods is money well spent so I'll spend it on that for now. I have an extra set of heads so later down the road I'll send them out. I'm for sure going with H beams from carrillo and the supercrank set up from falicon with the Chryo (SP?) treatment. It will be under 90. I want it mildly tuned for how many track days I'm doing this summer anyway. Mid 80s on pump gas would be nice. We'll see.

Thanks for the help guys

Nick

DAmico

all that stuff is to damn expensive. Use stock 'busa rod. they are stronger than stock and only like $40. I have put them in many of the SV motors that I have built and stole the idea from Mark Junge at Vesrah.

Scotty Ryan

Quote from: Numbskullz-113 on January 06, 2007, 07:51:03 PM
Nick,

I got 95 hp out of an SV that ran a complete CCS mid-west season. Here are the components I used:

41 mm Flatslide Keihin's
Lightened flywheel
Carrillo H beam rods
1 mm over JE pistons, custom made. Higher compression
Ported Heads <<<--- Very important to get a good engine builder to do the heads. They are worth a lot in hp!
Custom Valve Springs
Ti Valve keepers
Megacycle Stage 3 cams
Undercut magnafluxed tranny

My buddy now owns the bike and she still runs strong.

Edgar your dreams keep getting better and better....... How about the one where you got into the permanent marker fight in the back of the car -- wait a second -- I think that one was real???...????...
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

grasshopper

Quote from: DAmico on January 18, 2007, 09:59:24 PM
all that stuff is to damn expensive. Use stock 'busa rod. they are stronger than stock and only like $40. I have put them in many of the SV motors that I have built and stole the idea from Mark Junge at Vesrah.

Busa rods are stronger yes, but weigh more than the stock SV rods. Why are they better?

When you did this mod Jason did you send the whole assembly (Crank, rods, pistons, rings, wrist pins) out to get balanced?

Is it true you have to modify the deck height using busa rods?

Please elaborate or send me an email. I'd appreciate your input.

With much respect.

matt49g

Nick,
    The best way to anwer several of your questions would be to come over to my place, I have a set of 'busa rods, stock SV rods and Carrillo H-beam rods on my bench right now.  I also have stock SV pistons, Wiseco pistons and J&E pistons.  You could look, measure, weigh and compare to your hearts content and then make  your own decision based on personal observation rather than second hand and heresay information.  I live near Janesville.

Matt McNall
MW  EX #302
SV650
2006 Great Plains Champion
         Amateur LW-Formula 40
         Amateur Light-Weight Grand Prix
         Amateur Supertwins

grasshopper

Matt, I'd like that. I'll be in Wisconsin all weekend ice riding.

Thanks,

matt49g

Nick,
I'll be around all weekend except tonight.  email me at mjmcnall@charter.net and we can make arrangements.  Where are you racing?

Matt
Matt McNall
MW  EX #302
SV650
2006 Great Plains Champion
         Amateur LW-Formula 40
         Amateur Light-Weight Grand Prix
         Amateur Supertwins