636 Suspension advice?

Started by 1fastmofo, December 16, 2004, 12:56:43 PM

Super Dave

QuoteI'm just going to ride the thing and see what happens. I'm working more on my riding than worrying about set up.

Ok, I'll make this one short.

I've been doing this for a while.  

I am certainly very experienced at this time, but I'm no magician when it comes to riding.  If I'm good, it's because I did it a whole lot and made mistakes.

My reality is that I always worked on my riding rather than the set up for a long time.  But what I needed to do was work on my set up.  Unless you can get the bike to work for you and give you the feed back you need to feel a reasonable amount of confidence...you'll just fall down or go slower.  Yeah, maybe you have the magical reactions that I don't have, but eventually, a lack of set up will catch up.

If it were just about riding, GP teams would just need to put their riders on bikes and let them ride for laps and laps and laps to get faster.  But they do specific things looking for a better set up.

Ever see an AMA Pro race?  Go watch practice, especially Superbike.  They are working to get the chassis to work for the rider.  If it were just the rider doing laps, hey, he'd be out there just doing lap after lap after lap.  The one that puts in the most laps would win.

But you gotta make your own decisions.

Super Dave

Rick Beggs

WE RUN THE FRONT AT STOCK RIDE HEIGHT
rear is up 4 mm, tires are dunlop 208gpa, 120 front, 190 rear
currently shortening top out spring and installing new springs 4 more travel
springs and valves r stock now, fox shock on rear
RICK BEGGS
RnRCycles VPLubricants TuckerPowerSports FullSpectrumPower MotoLiberty RSTaichi AraiHelmet EBCBrakes EvansCoolant EVS DIDChains MaacoSterling ArmourBodies LextekMotorcycle WoolichRacing Woodcraft JTSprockets ZeroGravityRacing PitBull Lapking ChickenHawk PodiumMotorsportsPirelli