News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

CASE COVERS

Started by jwibb, February 21, 2008, 10:26:39 PM

jwibb

Just looking for any one to clarify the rules on case covers for a gsxr 600.  In the rule book it says that case guards need to be installed for gixxers, so can you use the guards that just cover the lower part of the case cover or does it need to be the whole thing as with the woodcraft that completely replaces the left cover.  If it can be just the lower guards has any one used or heard anything about moto-r guards.  I know it would be a better idea to go with the woodcraft as it would have better protection, but right now i'm trying to save all the money i can for the races.

Thanks in advance for all the replies and advice

TommyG

you can use them and they work well! :thumb:

kl3640

Which year is your gsx-r600?

From section 5.2.2 of the 2008 Rules:

"The following motorcycles must have case guards installed on both sides of the engine: Suzuki GSXR (all models), [other models]...Case guards may be in the form of strengthened side covers.  This list is subject to change and is at the discretion of the Tech Inspector.  Frame sliders are not acceptable as engine case guards."

HOWEVER, section A of 5.2.22 qualifies the rule as follows:

"Case guard or reinforced cover required on the left side only for Yamaha YZF-R1 and 2000 and later model Suzuki GSXR's with OEM style body work. (No openings on the lower right side of fairing)."

Because it reads, "Case guard or reinforced cover required on the left side...," I interpret that to mean that the left side needs a full-guard or replacement cover, but you might want to ask CCS to be sure, if you're on a tight budget and can save money with the smaller guard.

I bought the Woodcraft set for my 06 750, and as I recall it offers only a full-cover for the left side (stator).  The right side (clutch) is a small skid-plate that attaches towards the underside of the clutch cover using existing bolts, and there is a replacement for the small idle gear cover as well that's optional, but I don't recall seeing such an option (a small skid plate) for the left-side.

jwibb

I have a 06 gsxr 600, woodcraft doesnt offer a guard for the left side, just the full case cover replacement for $300.00.  but i did find that moto-r has the guard for the left side that bolts directly over the oem cover for $90.00

TommyG

I raced a 2006 GSXR 600 last year and the moto R covers are legal on both sides. 

kl3640

Where are the Moto-R covers available on-line?  I saw their website but didn't see any pictures of the covers - I'm curious what they look like.