Front Number Plates and Air Intakes

Started by Grashopr, December 27, 2006, 03:21:59 PM

Grashopr

I am wondering what the 'normal' thing is you guys with 3-digit numbers do;  I'm on a Triumph 675, with a huge triangular air intake right in the middle of the upper fairing where a 'solid' front-number plate would be.  The rulebooks say only one front number plate allowed, that it cannot be broken by the air intake hole, and that it must be on the 'correct side' of the upper fairing for the track that you are at (the rulebooks give two examples, one track which would use a 'left side' numberplate and one that would use a 'right side' number plate.    Putting a number plate on both sides of the upper fairing seems the obvious answer, but that violates the rules.  As does just putting one big one across the front of the bike.   Am I supposed to be ordering two upper's and run one for one track and one for another?   That seems like overkill.....

Quote5.3.5 Painted displays or separate plates.
A. Front display may be painted only if the front section of the fairing
is of adequate size and display is clearly legible. Otherwise, a 10 by
12 plate must be mounted. The front display area must be unbroken
by air intakes, and only one number display will be allowed.
(1.) If the rider chooses to position the front number display to the
side of the air intake, that number display MUST be on the same
side as the scoring station used during each event. (i.e. if you are
competing at Summit Point, the front display must be on riders
right. If you are competing at Roebling Road, the front display
must be on riders left.) It is the riders responsibility to have the
number display on the correct side before coming to Tech
Inspection.
CCS #303

Old Woman in a Cage: "WHAT were you thinking doing wheelies down the road at 60 to 70 mph??!!"

Idiot on a Triumph: "Oh we HAD to be going faster than THAT ma'am!"

Jeff

2 uppers will work, or number both sides and use tape to cover one side based on the track you're at.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

tstruyk

another option...

watch the number sizes, but it should work
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Super Dave

Or you can push the number up into the windscreen.
Super Dave

George_Linhart

Another way you can solve this is to paint up into the bottom of the windshield and place the numbers straight across the front above the air intake.  You will have to measure to make sure how high you need to paint into the windscreen and you will lose a bit of vision, but it shouldn't be too much.  If you run with the "other" organization they have become very strict that all numbers must be straight across the front.

Its a bit tough to do with the large 8 inch numbers without eating into your vision a bit, but its not that bad.  For what its worth, I seem to have noticed a lot of people using 6 inch numbers on the front and tech never seems to stop them or give them a difficult time.  I'm sure if I put on a 7.5 inch front number they would take out a ruler and fail me on this rule - but - I have seen a lot of numbers that are WAY smaller than 8 inches and they got trough teck OK.

George

Grashopr

Not that I can see through the 675's miniscule windshield without kneeling beside the bike and resting my head on the gas tank....  but are they going to toss me out of tech for blocking a majority of the line of sight?   I can tell that Super Dave gets by with it.... but I'm not popular OR independently wealthy....   
CCS #303

Old Woman in a Cage: "WHAT were you thinking doing wheelies down the road at 60 to 70 mph??!!"

Super Dave

I don't think popular and independently wealthy describe me.

Looney and underemployed, yeah.  I married really, really well.

:biggrin:
Super Dave

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: Grashopr on December 27, 2006, 05:52:40 PM
Not that I can see through the 675's miniscule windshield without kneeling beside the bike and resting my head on the gas tank....  but are they going to toss me out of tech for blocking a majority of the line of sight? 

Nothing in the rules say you have to have a clear windscreen (or even have one to start with). Thats how it should be done anyways IMO. THose small numbers on either side of bikes with the center intake are a PITA to read when we are looking for a certain bike that was called in on teh radios for smoke or whatever.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Grashopr

CCS #303

Eric Kelcher

Another example is on the very top of this page next to the M that is Mike Himmelsbach(675) while not ideal (it is not level with ground).

Next to it is a clearer image of a Kawasaki with numbers level.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Grashopr

Yeah, I've seen Mike's bike, but according to the rules, I'd need to 'move' the number plate from the left headlight area to the right headlight area for different tracks...  seems like a wasted effort if there is some way to just put them on without having to move them.
CCS #303

Burt Munro

See Jeff's solution above.....

Number both sides of the nose and cover over the un-needed side with tape or vinyl. 

Remove and reapply as needed, take two aspirin and call me in the morning if the pain persists.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!