Towing issues

Started by EmerWil, March 30, 2006, 06:13:49 AM

EmerWil

Howdy all..I have a strange problem.  I have a 2003 Dodge Durango.  I have recently started using my tow hitch on a regular basis and have discovered something that is really distressing me.

There is up and down 'play' in the receiver.  Meaning that I can physically move the hitch about a 1/4 inch up and down in the receiver.  Side to side is ok, no play at all.

When I am towing, If I don't have a lot of tongue weight it tends to want to 'jerk' the hitch up and down.  This causes a very jerky movement during accel and decel.  I noticed it's especially bad when the trailer has electric or hydraulic brakes.

Is there anything that I can do to reduce the amount of up and down play in the receiver?

thanks

Will

damico

Due to manufacturing "tolerances" using a hitch from one company and a reciever from another there can be some size differance between the two. I took my reciever and put two welds down the length of it and then used a grinder to get the proper fit and get rid of any play. Worked great for about 4 years now.

Protein Filled

If you do not have access to a welder, you can also shim it with some stock from Menards or Home Depot.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Jeff

Try a new ball mount.

Try a new receiver...

Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

G-reg

Buy a drawbar that has a larger drop to it.. it sounds like the one you have is making the trailer tongue sit too high.
--Greg
MW EX#84

Super Dave

You need tongue weight too.  10% of the total trailer weight needs to be on the tongue.  

Seems like there is an anti rattle device that can be put on the bar too that can eliminate rattle, etc.
Super Dave

3rdshiftgixxer

Wrap some Duct tape around it ;) ;D